"A" versus "an" before nouns

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jeremiah693
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: "A" versus "an" before nouns

Post by Jeremiah693 »

For me, it depends on the sound of the initial word
Sha_hrun
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sha-hrun.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Sha_hrun »

For me, the article “a” is used before a word that starts with a consonant or a word that starts with a vowel letter but starts with a consonant sound, while “an” is used before a word that starts with a vowel letter or a word that starts with a consonant letter but starts with a vowel sound.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Yes, in placing "a" or "an" before a word, the sound rather than the letter should serve as the guide. Familiarity with vowel sounds (there are just a few and the rest are consonant sounds) should be a good hack.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Traxy
Currently Reading: Breaking Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B004S40V1C

Post by Traxy »

This is the kind of thing that makes English super fun for those of us who had to learn it as a second language. ;)
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

One way to think of it is, when "u" is pronounced as says "you", the writer should use "a" as in "a university", but when "u" is pronounced as "uh" as in umpire, use "an" as in "an umpire or an unfortunate event." With "h", use "an" when the "h" is not sounded at the beginning of a word as in "an honor or an hour." When the "h" is sounded, use "a" as in "a horse, or a horrible cold." When n is pronounced as a letter, as in N.B.A., "an" is used in front of it, as in "an N.B.A. player."
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I never heard of "a" university before. It should be "the" university or "the" European Union. Using"the" sounds correct to me. What do you think?
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 13 May 2018, 00:28 I never heard of "a" university before. It should be "the" university or "the" European Union. Using"the" sounds correct to me. What do you think?
"The university" would be appropriate if you are talking about a specific university and are using the phrase to replace the proper name. For example: "Auburn University is located in Auburn, Alabama. The university offers a wide variety of courses." If you're talking about universities in a general manner and not about a specific university, "a university" is correct. For example: "It is a university's job to provide an appropriate learning environment for all of its students."
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

PlanetHauth wrote: 13 May 2018, 23:30
Mildred Tabitha wrote: 13 May 2018, 00:28 I never heard of "a" university before. It should be "the" university or "the" European Union. Using"the" sounds correct to me. What do you think?
"The university" would be appropriate if you are talking about a specific university and are using the phrase to replace the proper name. For example: "Auburn University is located in Auburn, Alabama. The university offers a wide variety of courses." If you're talking about universities in a general manner and not about a specific university, "a university" is correct. For example: "It is a university's job to provide an appropriate learning environment for all of its students."
Thanks for the examples. I have never seen that before but now I understand how to differentiate the two. :D
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 14 May 2018, 02:28
PlanetHauth wrote: 13 May 2018, 23:30
Thanks for the examples. I have never seen that before but now I understand how to differentiate the two. :D
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Ayula96
Currently Reading: Down the Monster Hole
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Ayula96 »

I've learnt something. Thanks
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I also encountered that "an ewe" thingy. I also believe that "a" and "an" is dependent on the sound of the word that comes next but I think I have heard somewhere that it applies only on spoken words but in writing, they follow the consonant-vowel rule. Kinda confusing, really. I feel you.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

It's always been my understanding that it is the vowel sound that matters when choosing the article. So it would be "a ewe" and "a university."
roatanmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roatanmama.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by roatanmama »

Thank you all for your input on this subject. It appears most of us agree that it is the sound of the start of the word that determines whether to use a or an. Hope the editing staff accepts this.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Classic UK versus US. I always err on the side of putting an before vowels. I think in the UK they play around with this a lot more.
roatanmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roatanmama.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by roatanmama »

I agree. For example, they pronounce the "h" in herb, which would then be a herb. Many other examples of this exist in British English.

Return to “International Grammar”