Grammar vs Content

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Grammar vs Content

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I diss significantly over grammar, but recently a friend lobbed a spanner into my thinking process by asking, "What if you have a great story but poor Grammar?"
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

In my opinion? Then get a proofreader.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sandy 96
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandy-96.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Sandy 96 »

Content is a big part of a story grammar can always be corrected.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:In my opinion? Then get a proofreader.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

The most important part of the story is the content. There is no use for a story with excellent spelling and grammar if the content itself is boring or is not enticing any readers. For me, grammar can always be corrected and improved upon. There are writers with bad grammar but their stories have potential, and it's unfortunate to waste good talent like that!
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

Content is important; i agree with this completely, but the interruption caused by bad grammar when reading, it messes eith the reading flow. For me the content would have to be exceedingly impressive to tempt me.
aberatio
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by aberatio »

Sophie11 wrote:Content is important; i agree with this completely, but the interruption caused by bad grammar when reading, it messes eith the reading flow. For me the content would have to be exceedingly impressive to tempt me.
I agree. I will be too caught up with the mistakes to continue reading. I remember putting down a book completely because of bad grammar and stilted language.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sophie11 wrote:Content is important; i agree with this completely, but the interruption caused by bad grammar when reading, it messes eith the reading flow. For me the content would have to be exceedingly impressive to tempt me.
100% agreed. I recently started a book that I was really excited to read, but by page 5, I had to put it down because the grammar, punctuation, and syntax was that bad. I know not everyone can afford a professional editor, but I have to think that the author in question still had to know SOMEONE who could proofread it somewhat.
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html

Post by Abfaniki »

Am a content person I never worry about Grammar even at work I hardly deal with Grammar the only action I see about grammar are a list of items and their price quotation. Recently I begin to realize that to communicate an idea or thought is not enough. Even in a story no matter how good the content without a good grammar is like the proverbial diamond in the pig snot. So to me but Grammar and Context are important, one can't do without the other.
I may even be bold to say the Grammar is far more important than the content, that is if the story has a lot of humor in it, which I believe American's are very big on.
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

They're both very important. Your grammar could be amazing, but your story can still put readers off for lack of content. Yet, bad grammar can greatly disrupt the flow of your story and discourage readers. A few mistakes here and there may not wreak havoc. However, anyone can tell when the writer is just terrible at grammar!
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I recently followed a set of grammatically perfect instructions to assemble a bunk bed. I would never consider reading them again (unless reassembling the bed). The grammar allowed me to follow the content more easily--I didn't have to stop and re-read them to figure out the next steps. It's the same concept for this thread. Grammar is the tool that helps us understand the content. Lack of precise grammar creates an obstacle for understanding the content. But sometimes the incorrect grammar is precisely the point, such as when conveying spoken dialogue; most people don't speak using perfect grammar. In those cases, the precise way in which grammar is lacking can help explain the character.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

DavidOchieng wrote:I diss significantly over grammar, but recently a friend lobbed a spanner into my thinking process by asking, "What if you have a great story but poor Grammar?"
Always proof read
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Grammar can always be addressed by a third party, but they can't come up with your ideas for you. Bad grammar in a book is like trying to listen to a public speaker who says "ummm" constantly. It significantly detracts from the message, no matter how compelling or well thought out.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This was my struggle about two weeks ago. I started on this book that seemed like it would have a good plot, but then I was forced to put it down because the spelling and sentence structure were really, really bad. For instance, the author wrote no "since" at all when he meant no "sense" at all -- and this was not an ordinary typo because the entire first chapter was riddled with things like this.
Screw the plot. Why would an author want to make his/her readers suffer?

If you can't convey your thoughts in writing, would that still make you a writer?
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Sometimes poor or eccentric grammar is with a reason - eg, 'The True History of the Kelly Gang'. At first I found this hard going but now realise why it was written how it was and appreciate it.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “International Grammar”