Help! Formatting question for volunteer review.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Help! Formatting question for volunteer review.

Post by Antares »

I am very vexed by the proper formatting for a quoted paragraph, from the novel, inside a review. I would truly appreciate any guidance or direction that the group can offer.
I have currently tried this three ways; however, I do not know if any, or which, is correct.

Example 1
This would be a block paragraph to make my argument. It would be a few sentences long. It doesnt look correct to page brake and insert the quoted paragraph here.
" this would be the quote. To my eyes this just doesn't look acceptable. Here would be the ending of the quote. (book name, page number)"
Now I would continue to make my second point of this particular paragraph.This would be the start of my third argument.

Example 2
Quote from Book Name excerpt from (page number)
"This would be the this would be the quote. My theory is this not the acceptable format, and may lead to confusion; however, it is the topic so, giving the information first, may be, the correct way to format. Here would be the ending of the quote"
This would be a block paragraph to make my argument. It would be a few sentences long. Now I would continue to make my second point of this particular paragraph; resulting in various numbers of sentences. This would be the start of my third argument.

Example 3
This would be a block paragraph to make my argument. It would be a few sentences long. Now I would continue to make my second point of this particular paragraph; resulting in various numbers of sentences. This would be the start of my third argument.
" this would be the quote. This would be my best guess at the acceptable format. The quote does apply to all three arguments, however, it would be the strongest argument for opinion number one. Here would be the ending of the quote. (book name, page number)"

Now that everyone can hopefully understand my confusion I would appreciate any guidance, vote, or guess that you have. If it wouldnt be to much trouble can you also explain why your solution would be correct. Reasons would be a helpful way to remember for future reviews.

Thank you all in advance.

A

-- 26 Jun 2017, 21:45 --

Please don't just view this post. I am truly open to guesses, I have to get this review turned in asap. If we are wrong, I am sure they will point it out during the review. Worst case we will be wrong together!
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I would go for example 3 but I too would like to know if there is a required way to put quotes in our reviews or can we format it however we like?
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html

Post by Antares »

It is very confusing isn't it? Thank you for your guess. I truly appreciate it.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

If it was me, I would use the quote BBCode. For example:

Block paragraph. Block paragraph. Block paragraph. Block paragraph. Block paragraph. Block paragraph.
Dr. Wroteabook wrote:Quote text quote text.
Another paragraph. Blah blah blah.

:)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “International Grammar”