Are we overusing apostrophes?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

liniageline89
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 27

Are we overusing apostrophes?

Post by liniageline89 »

My apostrophe/quotation mark key on my laptop keyboard broke last month. So for the entire month, I have been realizing how often I use the apostrophe in day-to-day written communication. All the shortcuts and contractions, all the possessive words and quotations have had to be rethought or redone.

What do you think? Are apostrophes and contractions overused? Is our writing becoming lazier? Can you live a month without a working apostrophe key on your keyboard?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting thought. I think that this goes along with social media and cell phone usage. All of our words and communications are getting shorter and shorter. We abbreviate words, and we use contractions. What will our language look like many years from now?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I wouldn't say that they're overused, but they have become quite necessary. Native speakers use contractions all the time, so they are essential for writing dialogue. They're also handy for informal types of written communication, such as social media posts or texts. And yes, I am fully aware that I used three contractions in this paragraph!

Also, I am sorry to hear about your computer. It must be very frustrating.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Prob'ly
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
liniageline89

Post by liniageline89 »

kandscreeley wrote:Interesting thought. I think that this goes along with social media and cell phone usage. All of our words and communications are getting shorter and shorter. We abbreviate words, and we use contractions. What will our language look like many years from now?
I love how this post has no apostrophes in it. :lol2: It is something to think about though. What will our language look like in the next century?
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I guess that's just how our language has evolved. As long has people who use contractions understand what they actually mean then I see no problem with it. I don't necessarily think they are overused, considering it is only appropriate to use them in informal conversations.
liniageline89

Post by liniageline89 »

True that. I do like how it made me be more conscious about my use of language. Having to rewrite or rethink my words often made me rethink my whole message. Rather then race off a quick message and click send, I now have to stop and think: Is that word really necessary? Is that what I really mean? Is that the best way to write this sentence?
scootmccute
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scootmccute.html

Post by scootmccute »

DATo wrote:Prob'ly

HA! Honestly, I don't think we're using them too terribly much considering writing in the Elizabethan era was riddled with them, just in a different place usually. They preferred cutting off specific letters versus how we shove two whole words together.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

liniageline89 wrote:True that. I do like how it made me be more conscious about my use of language. Having to rewrite or rethink my words often made me rethink my whole message. Rather then race off a quick message and click send, I now have to stop and think: Is that word really necessary? Is that what I really mean? Is that the best way to write this sentence?
I agree, it does make you stop and think about what you're writing before you hit send, which is a good thing.
ptolia_999
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by ptolia_999 »

Yeah, I think so too
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Ha ha.. my keys are working fine. We don't use it often
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I am (honestly) not an apostrophe pedant. But I have my limits. Recently a launderette has opened right opposite my place of work, meaning I have to see it every day, called (sic) WA'SH UM AND DRY. If I could think of something witty to intersperse between the A and the S I would be tempted to an act of vandalism.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “International Grammar”