What is a run-on sentence?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

What is a run-on sentence?

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I have received criticism from the editor regarding the sentence being a run on sentence but can't exactly figure out what this means. Also, how do you avoid this?
Thank you.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

A run-on sentence is when you have a sentence that has 2 or more complete sentences that aren't separated by any punctuation.
For example, "Bob is the smartest child in school he is an honor roll student."
The sentence can either be separated into 2 or you can add a comma. So it should be "Bob is the smartest child in school, he is an honor roll student."
Hope I helped! :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Actually, the example given with the comma is still run-on. You would need to use either a semi-colon or period.

-- 03 Jan 2017, 18:31 --

There are other types of run-on sentences. Here are some examples -

I went to the store and the cashier took my money and I left the store after that and I walked to my car.
John said hello to Mary after he arrived at work and he took off his coat and put down his briefcase and answered his phone when it started ringing.

These are extreme examples, but I just wanted to give you an idea.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Sarah_Khan wrote:A run-on sentence is when you have a sentence that has 2 or more complete sentences that aren't separated by any punctuation.
The sentence can either be separated into 2 or you can add a comma. So it should be "Bob is the smartest child in school, he is an honor roll student."
Thanks sarah_khan. :)

-- 04 Jan 2017, 06:12 --
bookowlie wrote:Actually, the example given with the comma is still run-on. You would need to use either a semi-colon or period.

-- 03 Jan 2017, 18:31 --

There are other types of run-on sentences. Here are some examples -

I went to the store and the cashier took my money and I left the store after that and I walked to my car.
John said hello to Mary after he arrived at work and he took off his coat and put down his briefcase and answered his phone when it started ringing.

These are extreme examples, but I just wanted to give you an idea.
Thanks @bookowlie. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Megan Old
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Megan Old »

Run-on sentences are basically sentences that has more than one idea without any semi-colon or commas separating it.
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

Okay, i think i get the idea; i have a habit of writing run-on sentences. I have never used semi colon much in my writing, but now i will develop a practice for it.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Sarah_Khan wrote:A run-on sentence is when you have a sentence that has 2 or more complete sentences that aren't separated by any punctuation.
Great one
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “International Grammar”