Question about space in sentence

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

BookBuffoonery
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookbuffoonery.html
Latest Review: "In Good Hands" by Billie Allen

Question about space in sentence

Post by BookBuffoonery »

Can you please help me understand why there should be a space between the word "time" and the period at the end of the following sentence.

The writing style of this book is confusing at times, switching the perspective of who is telling the story at any given time .
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

BookBuffoonery wrote:Can you please help me understand why there should be a space between the word "time" and the period at the end of the following sentence.

The writing style of this book is confusing at times, switching the perspective of who is telling the story at any given time .
There shouldn't be a space there.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

BookBuffoonery wrote:Can you please help me understand why there should be a space between the word "time" and the period at the end of the following sentence.

There should not be a space between the last word in a sentence and the period at the end of that sentence. Are you referring to your recent review? I just took a look at it and there is the same error - a space between the word time (the last word in the sentence) and the period.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

The dreaded gremlins strike again :doh:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Fran wrote:The dreaded gremlins strike again :doh:
:lol:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BookBuffoonery
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookbuffoonery.html

Post by BookBuffoonery »

bookowlie wrote:

There should not be a space between the last word in a sentence and the period at the end of that sentence. Are you referring to your recent review? I just took a look at it and there is the same error - a space between the word time (the last word in the sentence) and the period.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. In the feedback for my review, I was told that there should be a space there. I was confused. :?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

As I previously posted, I took a look at your recent review from the link on your post. Your review contains an error - a space between the word and the period. So...it's appropriate that the feedback would mention the error. The only thing I can think of is one of the following:

1) there was a typo and the editor meant to say there should not be a space
2) you may have misunderstood the way the comment was worded

Either way, looking at the published review, the space you have in the review is an error so it was appropriate for someone to mention it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “International Grammar”