Starting a sentence with And or But

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Starting a sentence with And or But

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I have always been taught that starting a sentence with And or But is totally forbidden. However, recently I read some articles on the internet on a few grammar websites saying that this is actually allowed in the correct contexts. I even noticed that some of my academic articles that I am reading (about Linguistics) have sentences that start with these words.

I would really like to know your opinion on this subject. There are times that I really want to use these words but I can't, and I have to struggle to find an alternative or change my whole sentence around.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I was taught the same rule, and a number of times, I was criticized for braking it. If we write things like instructional, or legal documents, I suppose adherence to this grammatical style is important. But, (However,) if we need to portray a language as it is spoken, rules can get in the way.
Actually, this subject can turn into a philosophical discussion as there are people who really get their back-hairs up whenever they perceive a broken rule. In the legal or political realm, this question is argued all the way up into the Supreme Court: What takes precedence: the letter of the law, or the law's intent? :lire4:
MJ Chantel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mj-chantel.html

Post by MJ Chantel »

As long as you are not doing technical, legal or business writing, you can break almost any grammar rule. A good rule of thumb, though, is to not break a rule for the sake of being lazy or simply because, but to further the story.

And you can grammatical begin a sentence with and or but, provided it is a complete thought. But I would avoid doing so in technical, legal or business writing.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I've always felt the need to begin sentences with those. I've always been told that it was grammatically wrong though, atleast for formal writing. I guess that still holds
graceluvjo333

Post by graceluvjo333 »

I taught my students that starting a sentence with AND and BUT is wrong. I read some suspense novels wherein the author used AND to start a sentence. I hoped I'm not teaching the wrong things to my students.
Diane Rinella
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Diane Rinella »

I was also taught never to do this; however, it is not a hard and fast rule. (Just like the way I wrote a semicolon before "however" instead of breaking it into another sentence is the general rule, but you don't need to stick to it.) As a writer, I try to avoid starting a sentence with and; however, there are times when it makes sense. If a character is ranting, and thus using and a lot, sentences can get LONG! If you break up the diatribe by starting a sentence with and, then you make your point without driving the reader mad with a long sentence.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I would not use AND and BUT in any official writing, like business, legal, etc. I think it's ok to use in a dialogue - ie. when the character is speaking. But in general, no, I would not start a sentence with either word.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

AA1495 wrote:I've always felt the need to begin sentences with those. I've always been told that it was grammatically wrong though, atleast for formal writing. I guess that still holds
I agree with you, although I've been taught to never begin a sentence with And or But, there are times where I feel it is necessary (but not in things like legal documents). :P
Polecat1
Currently Reading: The bone tree
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Polecat1 »

Certainly when writing dialogue "But'' or "And" could begin a sentence, right or wrong. It seems a normal part of conversation.
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 158

Post by Lolly_Reader »

But what if you just like the feel of the word flow as you break the rules? And laugh in the face of danger?
miloark

Post by miloark »

Enjoying this discussion because I have wondered the same thing myself! I try hard to avoid those words when beginning a sentence.
demetria
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 13018">The Waters of Eternal Youth</a>
Currently Reading: Deep Sea and Foreign Going
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by demetria »

And doesn't Diane Rinella's post show how writing styles have changed over the decades. In my father's day it was normal to write in very much longer sentences than is the case today. I not long ago came across some pages of memories that my father wrote in the 1980s, and the sentences just went on and on and on. It was not peculiar to him, but normal for his generation to write like that. There were plenty of colons and semi-colons used where today we would use separate sentences.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I remember learning that starting a sentence with 'and' was wrong, but I don't remember anything about 'but'. Yet it's true that even I have seen such usage in several books. Do they have a poetical license or has the rule been relaxed?
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I would like to suggest that the purpose of the written form of a verbal language is to represent that language's spoken form. Perhaps people didn't verbally start their sentences with 'and', or 'but' during the 17 or 1800's, but they certainly do today. Suppose I jumped into a time machine and traveled back during the Elizabethan time. Would I be able to have a conversation without employing charades? I wonder how the English language sounded back then. What if they all spoke like Shakespeare wrote? :wink: Just kidding … I read that they weren't that poetic, but I read that their sentences were quite long winded. Language evolves. Over time, it changes and our written form must change with it – along with its rules. :eusa-think:
DATo

Post by DATo »

The issue concerning beginning a sentence with and comes up in the movie Finding Forrester in a discussion between Forrester (Sean Connery), who is a reclusive novelist, and his protege Rob Brown (Jamal Wallace); however, I do not remember how the conversation went, but I do remember that it was stated in the conversation that under certain circumstances this was allowable.

If anyone has this movie or plans on picking it up soon please post what you find out in this thread.

EDIT: It occurs to me that Poe does this in the third stanza of The Raven.

And in the poem it seems to work *LOL*.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “International Grammar”