Starting a sentence with And or But

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

aks9120
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 4145

Re: Starting a sentence with And or But

Post by aks9120 »

I was also taught not to start sentences with and or but. I find that when i am trying to explain some things,i need to start my sentence with but or and,but more often,to properly get my point across. it may not be 100% grammatically correct, but i believe it can and should be done at times. And it works!!!!
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I have learned that in school too but I have read many books defying the rule. I myself have started with "but"/ "and" in some sentences while writing composition back in highschool and my teacher never criticised that part.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

In the right context it is proper to to start a sentence with ''BUT'' and ''And'' depending on the addressee.

Return to “International Grammar”