I literally/figuratively can't!

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

gracedellis_
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 2

I literally/figuratively can't!

Post by gracedellis_ »

I'll be the first to admit that I take grammar a little more seriously than necessary, but one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing people use the word "literally" when they mean "figuratively." Last year, though, the Oxford English Dictionary edited the definition of the word "figuratively" to include "literally," meaning that the two are essentially interchangeable. As a lover of words and all things language, I wonder if it's a bit hypocritical of me to be annoyed at this change when one of the beauties of language is its ability to be malleable, much like society.

What are your thoughts on the ever-changing nature of language? Should we leave it as we know it or allow common usage to create new rules and regulations? Do you find yourself aggravated at some of the ways language is changing with the times, or are you appreciative that we actually can change language?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm annoyed at that particular change, but overall appreciate that language evolves.

I've actually (literally :lol: ) almost started this very topic several times.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I, too, am not very happy with this change. I know that living languages such as ours are constantly changing, but I think that this particular change came about due to widespread ignorance. I think that many people have begun to use this word to emphasize a point, but they don't actually know what it means.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

If this keeps going, I'll need a new dictionary very soon...I have to agree that this is an annoying change, but is it unusual these days for a change like this to happen? Or do we just have to get used to it?
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

Language evolves as human interactions keeps evolving I guess we are going to have to get used to it.
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Esies98 wrote:Language evolves as human interactions keeps evolving I guess we are going to have to get used to it.
I think you're right...
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I suppose that changes in language are an historical inevitability, but the example you cite (figuratively vs. literally) is simply wrong. Someone at Oxford Press needs to be fired. The term figuratively, though not actually an antonym of literally is most often associated to contrast the illusory with the factual. To make them synonymous is just plain silly. The breach between the definitions is far too great in my opinion.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Dos the Oxford Press explain somewhere why they did this?
gracedellis_
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See

Post by gracedellis_ »

I'm not sure if there's a full explanation, but I assume it's similar to the fictional scenario in the YA novel Frindle, (a middle school boy invents the word "frindle" to replace "pen," and it eventually becomes part of the dictionary) - if enough people use a word to mean something, eventually, it means whatever they say it means.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I also get annoyed when I hear someone using "literally" in place of "figuratively."

There was a girl I worked with who would tell a story (supposed to be funny, I assume) and would say, "I literally died laughing." ---Uh.. No, you didn't. :oops2:
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

I'm not at all a fan of this change in particular, but I'm torn on the topic in general. Language does change and evolve (some of the words that we think are perfectly normal were slang years ago), and that isn't necessarily good or bad.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Although I understand the need to add "new" words to the dictionary like selfie and other modern lingo, I can not understand why they would change the definition of literally/figuratively. That's like everyone deciding one day to start calling apples blue. So people now say I want to eat a blue. Just because a lot of people use the word the wrong way doesn't make it right therefore it should not be added to a dictionary or have it's definition updated.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

Sarah_Khan wrote:Just because a lot of people use the word the wrong way doesn't make it right therefore it should not be added to a dictionary or have it's definition updated.
Ah, thank you! I couldn't put my finger on why this bothered me so much when I know that language evolves, but this usage is just wrong.
Jessakibi

Post by Jessakibi »

I laughed when I saw this thread. I think anyone with a teenager has heard "literally" used in place of figuratively countless times. My favorite example of this is when my daughter stood in the middle of a grocery store and told me in great disgust that there was "literally nothing to eat in this place."

As far as language changes go, I guess change is hard for me, and it's a sad fact that I'm old enough to have seen a lot of change. I still remember my outrage when "nauseous" became an acceptable word to describe feeling nauseated. I would stomp around and huff that only stupid people would describe themselves as being nauseating to others when they meant that they were nauseated. But change happens even without my blessing and although I probably won't ever describe myself as nauseous, I have made peace with other people doing so.
Diane Rinella

Post by Diane Rinella »

My husband and I joke about this all the time. It drives me batty when people miss use the word. I am less than thrilled that an official change was made. I respect that language evolves, but to allow a word to mean both one thing and its opposite is too confusing. It is like we have put slang ahead of logic.

Return to “International Grammar”