"I could care less" and more goofs

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

"I could care less" and more goofs

Post by moderntimes »

A couple days ago I heard Hillary Clinton talk about Trump: "I could care less" which is of course incorrect, implying that she cares a lot. The proper phrase is "I couldn't care less" but I'm always surprised how many people get it wrong.

Which got me to laughing about things I've seen in print. Not common grammatical errors (or misspellings) such as mistaking "they're" vs "their" vs "there" but some unintentionally funny mistakes. These are some of what I remember:

"He was on tenderhooks." (which should be "tenterhooks") is one I've seen. The author simply didn't know the origin of the word.

I'll add others as I remember them. In the meantime, funny word goofs you've seen?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Here are a few I heard recently:
"For all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes"
and
"Shuffle pass" instead of "shovel pass" (there are football fans in my house)
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

You know, I always read that as "tetherhooks". My cousins always says "it didn't quite cut the mustard". We ended up looking into the phrase, and it's supposed to say "didn't cut the muster" (I believe) He hasn't really warmed to it, and still says "didn't cut the mustard".

On my end, I was trying to describe something, and I said: "I don't want to half-ass it, I'm going to whole-ass it." It made her laugh, I know I was wrong, forgive me. :D
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Ah, yes, cut the mustard. Which correctly is "muster", a Brit army term.

And hearing "intensive purposes" made me smile.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

My brother used to say "full throtto" instead of "full throttle." He's a smart guy, and it drove me crazy! I would constantly correct him, but he kept ignoring me. One day I snapped and told him he didn't stop saying "throtto," I'd throttle him! Ugh!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Good one!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Excellent thanks
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

moderntimes wrote:Good one!
:lol:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I heard someone while I was standing in line the other day saying, "well that's just a mood point". I was quite overtired and laugh-cried for about 15 minutes.

Not sure if this really fits or not, but when I was younger, a friend of a friend was pretty sexist. We got into an argument where he brought up that when things are referenced it's said that it's "man made". So males were superior to women. SERIOUSLY!! He took it literally and it drove me nuts! Guess he shouldn't have dropped out of school hahaha
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I've never heard "mood" point before. Thanks.

Regarding "man made" or things like "mankind" or words like "chairman", I think it's fine to de-sex some terms but some people go out of the way to do this, writing gender-neutral passages which are so convoluted in the effort, that they're clumsy in construction. I think we all know that "mankind" refers to everyone. Now for legal documents, fine, fluff up the language with all the gender-neutral and otherwise legally effective words you wish. But a short story or novel? Let it slide, the readers will understand what you're saying if your content has been non-prejudiced otherwise.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I had a high school English teacher make me rewrite a sentence in one of my essays because I used the word "mankind," which she insisted was sexist. I respected her overall, but I thought she was being ridiculous. Being a woman, I am not at all offended by gender-specific words, as most of the time the writer or speaker means no harm.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

The issue being exactly as you said, that the writer means no harm.

If some jerk is writing a screed against women or minorities or whomever, then you can easily tell from the context and you don't have to look at specific words. Same for someone who's writing in a very easy going way -- say, fiction, a novel or short story -- and uses "mankind" but the rest of the text is clear that the author has no ill will, criticism is silly and needlessly picky.

Now a legal document, sure, use the generic "persons" and say "he/she must be at least 18 years of age" and so on. But fiction? Gimme a break.

What I HAVE learned, however, is that if a sentence is awkward in its construction and you're caught up in a "politically correct" word trap, it's usually better to rewrite the sentence so as to make it gender neutral but use a different construction which is less clumsy.

In my novels, modern day private eye stories, we learn from the outset that my narrator (I write 1st person) is an affable, intelligent, and totally unbiased person, free from prejudices. And so, as he chats, describing someone, he'll say "Dr. Kent was a tall, athletic black man" and I think that's fine, using the general term "black" instead of the more formal "African-American" simply because it's more easy on the reader's eyes. Were my narrator a jerk and prejudiced, he certainly wouldn't just say "black" anyway, right?

I came across another word in my book, "you piqued my interest" but you can usually make a list of the times the word is wrongly "peaked my interest" -- I've seen that error in some fairly well-written pieces.

Then there's "compliment" vs "complement", sigh.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Good thread!

Here are the ones that annoy me -

Irregardless when it should be Regardless

Statue of limitations when it should be Statute of limitations (this error drives me up a wall)

-- 22 Apr 2016, 01:33 --

One more -

Piece of mind which should be peace of mind
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
DATo

Post by DATo »

The husband of a dear friend would constantly refer to the Space Shuttle as the Space Shovel .... and he was serious. In his defense it must be stated that English was not his first language.

Another I've heard is, "The statue of limitations." s/b "statute of limitations".
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:The husband of a dear friend would constantly refer to the Space Shuttle as the Space Shovel .... and he was serious. In his defense it must be stated that English was not his first language.

Another I've heard is, "The statue of limitations." s/b "statute of limitations".

Space Shovel :text-yeahthat:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “International Grammar”