"I could care less" and more goofs

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Redcraze
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: "I could care less" and more goofs

Post by Redcraze »

There are several current idioms which mean, as far as I can tell, exactly the opposite of what they say. Thus “I could care less” means “I couldn’t care less” and “double down” replaces the perfectly adequate locution “double up”. “Entitled”apparently means “not entitled, but thinks he should be”.

No expression irritates me more than "It is what it is". What sort of conversation includes such nonsense? How can one respond to it? Perhaps “Oh, really? I thought it was something else.”
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

No expression irritates me more than "It is what it is". What sort of conversation includes such nonsense? How can one respond to it? Perhaps “Oh, really? I thought it was something else.”
You are not alone--this irritates me, too!!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Redcraze

Post by Redcraze »

Thanks, Martha. I feel vindicated that someone agrees with me. Perhaps we should start the "It Isn't What It Is" Club to at least make people who use this silly expression think about what they're saying. You can be President.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Oh my gosh, when people on social media type "are" when they mean "OUR". It really gets to me.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Redcraze

Post by Redcraze »

Yes indeed! How do you feel about people who can't distinguish between "there", "their" and "they're"? Surely the death penalty should apply.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Redcraze wrote:Thanks, Martha. I feel vindicated that someone agrees with me. Perhaps we should start the "It Isn't What It Is" Club to at least make people who use this silly expression think about what they're saying. You can be President.
Actually I think you should be the President ;-)
Diah
Currently Reading: One Night for Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B01M0JCU9B

Post by Diah »

English is my second language. So my English is not good too. I didn't know any wrong meaning when heard "I could care less". But after I read "I couldn't care less" I understand that the first quote is not right.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

moderntimes wrote:A couple days ago I heard Hillary Clinton talk about Trump: "I could care less" which is of course incorrect, implying that she cares a lot. The proper phrase is "I couldn't care less" but I'm always surprised how many people get it wrong.

Which got me to laughing about things I've seen in print. Not common grammatical errors (or misspellings) such as mistaking "they're" vs "their" vs "there" but some unintentionally funny mistakes. These are some of what I remember:

"He was on tenderhooks." (which should be "tenterhooks") is one I've seen. The author simply didn't know the origin of the word.

I'll add others as I remember them. In the meanti me, funny word goofs you've seen?
Good catch
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

moderntimes wrote: 19 Apr 2016, 17:17 A couple days ago I heard Hillary Clinton talk about Trump: "I could care less" which is of course incorrect, implying that she cares a lot. The proper phrase is "I couldn't care less" but I'm always surprised how many people get it wrong.

Which got me to laughing about things I've seen in print. Not common grammatical errors (or misspellings) such as mistaking "they're" vs "their" vs "there" but some unintentionally funny mistakes. These are some of what I remember:

"He was on tenderhooks." (which should be "tenterhooks") is one I've seen. The author simply didn't know the origin of the word.

I'll add others as I remember them. In the meantime, funny word goofs you've seen?

The "I could care less" phrase has been irritating me for so long. I am so grateful that you have mentioned this. I seriously thought I was going mad. I knew it wasn't right but kept seeing it in so many books that I ended up not trusting myself. THANK YOU!
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

MsMartha wrote: 10 Jun 2017, 07:58
Redcraze wrote:Thanks, Martha. I feel vindicated that someone agrees with me. Perhaps we should start the "It Isn't What It Is" Club to at least make people who use this silly expression think about what they're saying. You can be President.
Actually I think you should be the President ;-)
Redcraze for president. I'm in.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I don't know if this fits into the category you're talking about, but here's a funny spelling for the word 'tyre' that I've seen - tayer. I forgot the actual spelling for a minute after reading that. :doh:
bespectacledpetal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bespectacledpetal.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bespectacledpetal »

'Irregardless' instead of 'regardless'
Shhhh I'm reading :techie-studyinggray:
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

One that I hear often is 'I don't know nothing', while it should be 'I know nothing' or 'I don't know anything'.
SallyH55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sallyh55.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by SallyH55 »

What about "death nail" instead of "death knell"? Maybe we don't hear as many bells as we used to!
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

My friend wrote "I won't take jeans for granite ever again." :doh: That hurt me. Physically.
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:

Return to “International Grammar”