"I could care less" and more goofs

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: "I could care less" and more goofs

Post by Shelle »

bookowlie wrote:Good thread!

Here are the ones that annoy me -

Irregardless when it should be Regardless

Statue of limitations when it should be Statute of limitations (this error drives me up a wall)

-- 22 Apr 2016, 01:33 --

One more -

Piece of mind which should be peace of mind
Using the (non)word 'irregardless' is one of my biggest pet peeves. I actually quit dating a guy in college who said irregardless ALL THE TIME. I just couldn't take it and decided the best solution was to not be around him anymore :D .
Now my husband will sometimes say it to be funny. I can't win!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Here is a further goof, continuing my previous comment that "piece of mind" should be "peace of mind" -

"I gave him a peace of my mind" (figure of speech for telling someone off) which should be "I gave him a piece of my mind"

The above phrase uses the other "piece," as opposed to the "peace of mind" example.

How about "I gave him a piece of my mind, he walked out and there was peace" :(
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
KrisKros
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by KrisKros »

When I was little I had never heard the word "Evangelism" pronounced. I said it as Evan (like the name)- gle- see-ism for years without anyone knowing what I meant. We passed a sign that had it so I could point it out to my grandmother who laughed for a solid 10 minutes. I still catch myself pronouncing it wrong on occasion.
lizzurppp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lizzurppp »

One thing I've noticed a lot, particularly on Facebook, is that people either don't understand or don't care about the different between "sale" and "sell." For example, a woman selling some furniture will say, "Rocking chair for sell, $20." See the problem here? Maybe because I live in the south and it's pronounced differently, the woman chose the incorrect conjugation of the verb, but it's very frustrating. Ma'am, your rocking chair is for SALE, not for sell.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

lizzurppp wrote:One thing I've noticed a lot, particularly on Facebook, is that people either don't understand or don't care about the different between "sale" and "sell." For example, a woman selling some furniture will say, "Rocking chair for sell, $20." See the problem here? Maybe because I live in the south and it's pronounced differently, the woman chose the incorrect conjugation of the verb, but it's very frustrating. Ma'am, your rocking chair is for SALE, not for sell.
I see this on our local Facebook groups all the time too. It is really annoying!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
aspann09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspann09.html

Post by aspann09 »

Irregardless is another one, but it's understandable that people can make these mistakes. English can be hard.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I have to agree--the errors on Facebook are amazing! I understand that they are often easy mistakes to make, and I've made an error or two myself. (But only two ;-))
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
courtneymilford

Post by courtneymilford »

Is "butt naked" a real term? People say it when they mean "buck naked."
Texas_Girl928
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-girl928.html

Post by Texas_Girl928 »

"Hit me like a mad truck". Um... you mean a mack truck, right?
Alexa_Fernandez

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

"Hence why" - Heard it on a reality show (of course!) and then a writer on a blog I read wrote the same thing.

-- 11 May 2016, 10:10 --
aspann09 wrote:Irregardless is another one, but it's understandable that people can make these mistakes. English can be hard.
I actually heard a lawyer say that once. I cringed.

-- 11 May 2016, 10:12 --
moderntimes wrote:I just saw another one: "waiting with baited breath" which is incorrect. It should be "bated" and that's a very common error.
"Deep-seeded" is one I actually thought was correct for a while. In my defense, I'm still learning many idioms because my mother wasn't a native speaker so we didn't use many English ones.
Applelady72
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Applelady72 »

In the Boston area we have our own language, it tends to confuse the tourist! One thing I hear people say that makes me cringe is "Yous" and in "Yous guys are wicked funny in this forum." This is not a word, it sounds like a female sheep who is actually a EWE, and leads to a major loss of IQ points. Sadly I have seen it included in Memos, Newsletters, and company email. I hope it is just a Boston thing!
brittanycardwell

Post by brittanycardwell »

Here's a rare one:

"She was wearing high hills." Guess the incline of hills does resemble that of some women's shoes.
finart3
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finart3.html

Post by finart3 »

I don't call them "funny" word goofs. I call them bad grammar. One that gets me: "I should of come by earlier in the day."

NO!! "Should have..."
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

How about "supposably" instead of "supposedly" grrrrrrr...
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Jagmommy0911

Post by Jagmommy0911 »

These are pretty good! It's a little different, but when people pronounce 'attic' addict it drives me insane!

Return to “International Grammar”