"I could care less" and more goofs

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: "I could care less" and more goofs

Post by e-tasana-williams »

krystleb1703 wrote:People here in Louisiana, including myself, tend to say, "I'm going make groceries," meaning that I am going shopping for groceries. Growing up saying this, I never thought it was incorrect until I went to a function out of state and my mother and I volunteered to do the shopping. The people with us burst into laughter and questioned what we meant. We really had to think about it, how improper of us.
I've heard people from Alabama and Mississippi say that as well. I love it, proper or not! :D
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
C-Schleiff
Currently Reading: Orchids and Stone
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-schleiff.html

Post by C-Schleiff »

This thread is amazing! One that has always bothered me is when people say "pacific" instead of "specific". It seriously makes me cringe. Also "I'm about to" instead of "I'm going to". I don't know if the last is pacifically (see what I did there ;-) ) incorrect, but it drives me mad regardless.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

My son said one the other day while he was playing basketball: "out of bounce!", instead of "out of bounds". I didn't correct him, I loved it!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

I had a friend who used to use "ignorant" when she meant "indignant." She was uneducated and not at all well spoken, but she meant well. I never had the heart to correct her.
TQC
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TQC »

Yes, I've always said it as "I couldn't care less" and then I started hearing "I could care less." This is something that I cringe every time I hear because you are literally disproving what you are trying to say by saying it as "I could care less."
kebanfi
Currently Reading: Paper Princess
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebanfi.html

Post by kebanfi »

I agree with the person above me. Whenever I read books and see "I could care less" I cringe on the inside. It is a fairly common mistake though so it's not very surprising to hear/read it often.
Jessakibi
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jessakibi »

I worked in a clinic where one of the patients was trying to describe what his Primary Care doctor had told him was the cause of his pain. He told me that the doctor explained that his "sacred lilac" was acting up. I didn't have the heart to correct him and say that what he meant was his 'sacroiliac'. In fact, it almost made me wish that I had a sacred lilac of my own.
Magaera
Currently Reading: Saviour
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Magaera »

My biggest pet peeve is when people say pacific instead of specific. It's not an ocean haha. I once corrected a teacher on it without even realizing till afterwards
Danessa
Favorite Author: John Steinbeck
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 2434

Post by Danessa »

Here's a goof that my husband informed me of that I have said. Only, I'm not so sure I'm wrong. Maybe someone could shed light on this.
"It's a down hill battle from here" instead of "Its an up hill battle from here" meaning it will be easier from here on out. I point out that it is easier to travel down a hill than up a hill. So I say "It's all down hill from here" My husband says that I'm saying this backwards.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Great thread! How about those who "nip it in the butt" rather than "nip it in the bud"?
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Some bother me more than others. In formal writing, I think the author needs to take more care in weeding out the goofs. In casual conversation, I won't correct someone unless it's my child and I want to make sure they know what is the correct way. I won't embarrass them on the spot though, I'll teach them about it later. The statue of limitations one is hilarious!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jessakibi
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jessakibi »

Danessa, it's my understanding that "It's an uphill battle" and "It's all downhill from here" are two separate expressions. I guess that this means you and your husband are both right.
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

Jessakibi wrote:Danessa, it's my understanding that "It's an uphill battle" and "It's all downhill from here" are two separate expressions. I guess that this means you and your husband are both right.
Beat me to it. 8)
Danessa
Favorite Author: John Steinbeck
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 2434

Post by Danessa »

I see. Thanks for your help!! ?
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I've seen so many people write and say that they could care less and it's always really annoyed me when I hear it or see it. Half the time when you try to correct them as helpful criticism, they can't seem to process that it's even wrong.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Return to “International Grammar”