Errors on score cards- I disagree. Am I wrong?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kace Gauthier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kace-gauthier.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Icon Errors on score cards- I disagree. Am I wrong?

Post by Kace Gauthier »

So my review got rejected, I'm still learning the ropes and I'm sure it had more to do with the grammar problems, that is not why I am posting this, but this sentence is bothering me SO BADLY! Okay, here it is.

"I’m not a fan of authors doing this, but the actual story, the science fiction, and the horror that gave me nightmares is what kept me reading."

Both score cards changed is after nightmares to are and I feel like that's wrong. :?:
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Your independent clause has three subjects: the actual story, the science fiction, the horror. That compound subject requires a plural verb. For example: The apple, the banana, and the peach are what I put in the fruit salad. The editors are correct.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Diana Lowery wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 14:00 Your independent clause has three subjects: the actual story, the science fiction, the horror. That compound subject requires a plural verb. For example: The apple, the banana, and the peach are what I put in the fruit salad. The editors are correct.
Sorry Diana, I disagree.
The phrase "the actual story, the science fiction, and the horror" is treated as a singular entity because it represents a singular concept or idea, even though it consists of multiple elements. When discussing a collective or composite subject that is seen as a unified whole, singular verb forms are often used. In this case, "is" is appropriate because the speaker is referring to the overall impact or essence of the combination of story, science fiction, and horror.
"Bread, butter, and jam is my favorite breakfast." In this sentence, "bread, butter, and jam" form a collective idea of a breakfast combination, and despite having multiple elements, it is treated as a singular entity.
Here's another example: "The excitement, the anticipation, and the joy of the event is palpable." In this case, "the excitement, the anticipation, and the joy" collectively represent a singular experience or feeling, so "is" is used for agreement with the singular subject.Therefore, "is" is used to maintain agreement between the subject and the verb.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 08:38
Diana Lowery wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 14:00 Your independent clause has three subjects: the actual story, the science fiction, the horror. That compound subject requires a plural verb. For example: The apple, the banana, and the peach are what I put in the fruit salad. The editors are correct.
Sorry Diana, I disagree.
The phrase "the actual story, the science fiction, and the horror" is treated as a singular entity because it represents a singular concept or idea, even though it consists of multiple elements. When discussing a collective or composite subject that is seen as a unified whole, singular verb forms are often used. In this case, "is" is appropriate because the speaker is referring to the overall impact or essence of the combination of story, science fiction, and horror.
"Bread, butter, and jam is my favorite breakfast." In this sentence, "bread, butter, and jam" form a collective idea of a breakfast combination, and despite having multiple elements, it is treated as a singular entity.
Here's another example: "The excitement, the anticipation, and the joy of the event is palpable." In this case, "the excitement, the anticipation, and the joy" collectively represent a singular experience or feeling, so "is" is used for agreement with the singular subject.Therefore, "is" is used to maintain agreement between the subject and the verb.
I can see how this could be interpreted both as a singular and a plural verb. Thanks for clarifying. With the information you provided, the reviewer could ask for a recheck and have her points restored.

Return to “International Grammar”