Use of -er, -est, or 'more fill-in-word'

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

mountain5tormhawk
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountain5tormhawk.html

Use of -er, -est, or 'more fill-in-word'

Post by mountain5tormhawk »

Ever since the Strongbow Hard Apple Cider came out with their commercial with the "horse running in slow motion on the beach is the bestest', I've wondered about this. Of course best can't be bestest; it annoys me partly because it sounds like they're advertising to 5-year-olds! That's the age when children use words like 'bestest'.

Practically speaking, for correct grammar, would you rewrite that as 'the most best'?

And is there a set of rules that determines when you use a word like 'funniest' vs. 'most funny'? Just last night in the paper, I read that Sen. Bernie Sanders said, "The challenges we face now are direr than any time in our modern history." Is that correct, or would it be better to have said, "... we face now are the most dire than any time ..." OR is something like that just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

mountain5tormhawk wrote:Ever since the Strongbow Hard Apple Cider came out with their commercial with the "horse running in slow motion on the beach is the bestest', I've wondered about this. Of course best can't be bestest; it annoys me partly because it sounds like they're advertising to 5-year-olds! That's the age when children use words like 'bestest'.

Practically speaking, for correct grammar, would you rewrite that as 'the most best'?

And is there a set of rules that determines when you use a word like 'funniest' vs. 'most funny'? Just last night in the paper, I read that Sen. Bernie Sanders said, "The challenges we face now are direr than any time in our modern history." Is that correct, or would it be better to have said, "... we face now are the most dire than any time ..." OR is something like that just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks.
I like the word "bestest" .... reminds me of little kids and their explosive enthusiasm.
I certainly wouldn't rewrite it as "the most best" - something is either the best or it isn't, there is no such thing as most best or indeed bestest (but I still want to keep 'bestest') :lol:
'Direr' doesn't sound right either but far be it from me to correct Sen Sanders.
I think what you are referring to are called comparatives & superlatives and our esteemed member, moderntimes, is the bestest in the areas of grammar rules & all things writerly - moderntimes over to you. :eusa-think:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I agree with Fran. The term most best employes a dual superlative which is just as wrong as a dual negative.

Watch this comedy video of Father Guido Sarducci. In it he refers to the term ever and ever which sort of illustrates the point

youtube.com/watch?v=e7ykYHwG5i4&lis ... UwoKffp4tT
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
secarsuwor

Post by secarsuwor »

i like bestest bro hehe
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Correct would be "more dire" or "most dire" of course.

I guffaw whenever I hear the ATT commercial which touts their internet as having "fast speed". Arrgh.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
TanyaShh

Post by TanyaShh »

I understand why you are annoyed by the "bestest"word because I feel the same with the McDonalds' logo "I'm Loving it". Anyway, back to the main topic - I perceived the difference between -er/-est or more/most when my English teacher told me for short words we usually should use -er/-est and long ones refer to more/most. Hope this info is useful to you.
Goms
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goms.html

Post by Goms »

I think 'bestest' was used on purpose to attract attention. Like you said it's an advert and the goal is to get people to listen and hopefully buy.
Unicorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Unicorn »

Actually 'bestest' as well as 'betterest' are both correct in Scottish, Irish, and Welsh English

One assumes it is only incorrect in American and British English? (I am Scottish and not familiar with either American or British English, so I do not know the rules of either, so I don't know.)

I do not know the ad or the company in question. Is Strongbow Hard Apple Cider an Irish, Scottish, or Welsh company? Or was the ad promoting beer intended to 'be' or 'mimic' Scottish, Irish, and Welsh? If so, then it is a very logical move for the company to use the correct language/phraseologies of the culture they are advertising.

---------

ETA:

Okay, I just did a Google search for the company and the ad, and learned that the ad in question was aimed at an Irish market, so, yes, they were correct to use Irish English in their ad. I applaud them for being considerate to speakings of "minority" English forms.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Agreed. If we were to delete all the grammatical errors in advertising, it would be silent.

Maybe that's not such a bad idea?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
ramblinggnomes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by ramblinggnomes »

In regards to unicorns post, I am English and I recall having heard it used quite a lot amongst the Scottish, I can´t comment on Irish or Welsh. Amongst English people, I´ve heard it used but it´s not considered correct. It tends to be used to show enthusiasm in a childlike way.
I , of course, can´t speak for every English person. My grandma can´t conjugate the verb "to be" correctly so who knows!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “International Grammar”