Plural and plural possessive last name issues

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Plural and plural possessive last name issues

Post by Ramona »

This is one issue in particular that drives me crazy when an author adds or inserts an apostrophe in the last name of a family when he or she means it to be a plural word only!! I see this mistake commonly in Christmas cards and other correspondence and I've even seen it on public signs. I sputter and mutter and ask, "Why, why, why???" My poor husband is often the recipient of my sputters and mutters!

Do these errors greatly bother anyone else? If it's only once in a book, it's probably only an overlooked typo and I can deal with it. But when it's repeated over and over, as in one book I read, it is like nails on a chalkboard!! I just want to rattle someone's cage and beg, "Please let me proofread your card, or sign, or book for you!!!"
The answer is really so simple!

To make plural if the last letter of last name is one of the following, just add -s:
-->a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, t, u, v, w, y --> JUST ADD -s with NO apostrophe needed.

To make plural if the last letter or combination of letters of the last name is among the following, just add -es:
s, x, z, ch, sh -->JUST ADD -es with NO apostrophe needed.

TO MAKE IT PLURAL AND POSSESSIVE -- add -s' or -es'
ie.: the Smiths' house or the Joneses' house

-- 22 Oct 2015, 13:14 --

Now I have a question: what if the name was Smiths. Smithses seems awkward. Not sure if Smiths even exists, but I imagine there are similar names where adding -es would seem awkward. I haven't looked this up on the internet, but it's probably out there.
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Ryn
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryn.html

Post by Ryn »

I know what you mean - the misuse of apostrophes is really annoying. Its the worst when you see it in professional business settings.

In regards to our Smiths question - I read a good article on WriteShop entitled "Pet peeves, apostrophes, and plural family names" which talks about plural and plural possessive issues in regards to last names. (Unfortunately since I'm a new member here, I am unable to post a link or url to the article, but you can find it through a Google search if you're interested in reading it.) From what I've read in this article and in others, Smithses is probably the correct way to go - even though it looks quite awkward.
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Welcome, Ryn! I haven't been on here very long, but I am enjoying it! Thanks for your input! Like I said, maybe Smiths doesn't even exist as a last name, but IF it did or another similar awkward situation, I am just curious!! I'll check out some websites about it.
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I'm a stickler for grammar and punctuation, and in my first novel I had a character named Lou Masters. I had sold my novels to a publisher and was making the final review and I found this:

The door to Master's condo opened.

I practically screamed at myself for making that typo or grammatical error and letting it sneak past me for so long. Thankfully I managed to catch the error and fixed it to read:

The door to Masters' condo opened.

Hey, it happens.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I just reviewed a book where the author used "'s" when trying to write about the family (plural). The family was the Steepers (Steeper plural) and each time, the author would refer to them as the "Steeper's" and it drove me nuts! One time and it's a typo (like moderntimes' example), but repeatedly and it is an unknown error to the writer. It makes it hard for me to take any person seriously when they make glaring grammatical/mechanical errors, even more so when those errors are frequent.
Journey beyond the jacket.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Looks like that book didn't have a very competent author or proofreader. As I said, I nearly went nuts when I came across that typo in my 1st novel and thankfully I caught it before it went to press. It's hard to get a full length book published with zero errors but they are rare. I find a typo in maybe 1 of 10 books I review. Most times it's an entire word missing, like

"Jim opened door."
instead of
"Jim opened the door."

And I'm guessing that rarely, the auto-justification software which turns the author's ragged right pages into a fully justified page hiccups.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
ameliahulse

Post by ameliahulse »

Thank you for sharing.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Punctuation is often necessary to make proper sense of what is written, but beyond a reasonable point I think it begins to get bit ridiculous.

Here are the rules I go by and if anyone doesn't like them they can go hang themselves.

John Smith's - That which is possessed by our friend Johnny Smith.

Thomas Smiths' - That which is possessed by our friend Johnny's brother who is so embarrassed by his family that he added an S to the end of his name so people won't think he is related to them.

'Sylvia Smiths' or Sylvia Smiths - The entire collection of people in the world known as Sylvia Smiths.

The Smiths - The Smith family.

The Smith's - That which is collectively owned by a family named 'Smith'.

Smithes' - That which is possessed by Harold of the Smith family [Johnny's youngest brother] who has changed the spelling of his name because is both embarrassed by the Smith family as well as by his idiot of a cousin, Thomas.

smith's - The state of possession of an article owned by some big brute, or brutes unnamed, who hammer iron on an anvil.

His Eminence The Smythe's - The state of possession of an article owned by some big brute, or brutes unnamed, who hammer iron on an anvil and have recently achieved the status of royalty.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “International Grammar”