Oxford Comma ~ Yes or No?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Oxford Comma?

Yes!
93%
No!
7%

Total votes: 72

moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Oxford Comma ~ Yes or No?

Post by moderntimes »

A good point. As you know, aside from a required comma for perhaps a dependent clause, commas can be added or deleted to adjust the rhythm or pacing of a sentence, deliberately invoking small pauses which may indicate an internal dilemma, or by omission, a faster pace denoting urgency or excitement. Not precisely the Oxford comma, whatever that may be, but useful. Here's a sequence from my 1st novel, Blood Spiral. It describes the moment of a terrible accident involving two Air Force T-38 training planes. In this sequence, I omitted commas which may have technically been requisite so that I could impart a feeling of "rushing" to the phrasing:

The second T-38 was only yards above the tarmac, tracking the first plane’s path. Then it inexplicably and suddenly rose, slipped sideways, lost altitude quickly and slammed flat onto the runway with a terrible finality.

A great and frightening fireball burst from nowhere and tumbled along the ground, rushing and billowing. The last plane tried to pull up to get clear but it was too close and was swept into the path of destruction. Fragments of metal and plastic and pieces of things I didn’t want to recognize bounced into the air and scattered debris across the field everywhere with flashing and sparking and the roar of sudden flames.

Someone was yelling.

The crash trucks were already rolling and Trent was running toward the wreckage. The yelling continued until I realized that I was the one yelling.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
nikita03
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikita03.html

Post by nikita03 »

Definitely yes!.
HJ Hopkins
Currently Reading: The Meditation Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HJ Hopkins »

"We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin, to the party". Can't remember who first came up with that one - a search shows it on about 40k pages - but it's always a fine example of why the Oxford Comma is A Very Good Idea!

:techie-studyingbrown:
Oberon_61

Post by Oberon_61 »

Yes! I prefer to use the Oxford comma for two reasons: one, it clarifies meaning, and two, the sound of an Oxford anything too tantalizingly posh to resist. It was required in my university writing courses. I will admit, however, that the extra pause suggested by the comma can sometimes sound a bit awkward, particularly in casual writing, in which case I will choose to omit it consistently throughout the text.
LotusX
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lotusx.html

Post by LotusX »

PLEASE, please yes! Some sentences just make no sense without one. Or worse, mean something completely different than the author intended.
Dfinity
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dfinity.html

Post by Dfinity »

At this point I'm sure it's pretty much decided. Pro-Oxford comma for life.
usa_g

Post by usa_g »

Yes, oxford comma or serial comma is widely used than not.
Vogwenxtwin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vogwenxtwin.html

Post by Vogwenxtwin »

YES!!!!
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

A resounding yes! I was talking with a new friend recently and stopped the conversation in the middle of our discussion about writing, literature, and communications to find out how she felt about it - thankfully, our friendship could continue!
mheard77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mheard77.html

Post by mheard77 »

Absolutely!

"We are going to learn to cut and paste kids!" or "We are going to learn to cut and paste, kids!"

Commas matter.
FantasyWriter655
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fantasywriter655.html

Post by FantasyWriter655 »

I don't know how people get away without using the Oxford comma. My family would have my head on a spit if I didn't use it to it's full potential.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html

Post by braver »

FantasyWriter655 wrote:I don't know how people get away without using the Oxford comma. My family would have my head on a spit if I didn't use it to it's full potential.
Your family sounds fabulous! :D
Jessakibi
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jessakibi »

Sometimes it seems that what is right is a relative thing. I had a professor in college for a class where we wrote many, many papers. He was of the belief that the Oxford comma was indeed the extra comma before the "and", which I discovered after he marked down one of my papers for omitting it. I was very careful to include that extra comma in every applicable instance after that for all of my papers. My grades reflected his appreciation and I learned that in his class, right was what the professor says is right. In any case, Oxford or no, inserting a comma where it will help to clarify the meaning of a sentence is a good idea, regardless of what rule it demonstrates.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

I am pretty sure by this point the debate has fallen apart and in general the oxford comma is a thriving grammatical rule.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
ammp116

Post by ammp116 »

Oxford comma: Yes!

Return to “International Grammar”