Panick Attacks for first reviews?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Panick Attacks for first reviews?

Post by quadbrookie »

I have waited and today is my turn to choose a book to read for a review... Everytime I think about clicking the commit button I feel completely overwhelmed. I don't think this is normal.

I am not experienced in writing reviews, but it has been a dream of mine to see part of my review on the jacket of a book or published anywhere. My punctuation skills are not up to par. I do not want to write a review that may cause any unjust to the book or author. Clearly you can see that I'm not sure whether the comma goes after or before but. The same goes for semicolons and just about everything inbetween.

Has anyone dealt with these same issues? Does anyone have any advice on a website where I can freshen up on basic grammar skills? Anything more informative other than grammar check on MSword would help! I will appreciate any other constructive information also... :?:
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Your grammar and sentence structure seem much better to me than I think you realize. Your punctuation skills seem quite good. I get what you're saying, though; you're modifying your writing to eliminate punctuation when you don't know how to use the punctuation, aren't you? I'm free right now, so I'll try to help.

A semicolon works like a period. You can use it as a pause rather than an ending to a sentence.

I ran inside. I grabbed my purse.
I ran inside; I grabbed my purse.

Always put the comma BEFORE but. There will generally NEVER be a comma after but.

I wanted to go, but I was sick.

The colon comes before a list.

I like many colors: red, green, blue, and purple.

Good luck! Always follow your dreams!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I had this very same problem when I started out. I highly recommend getting books about grammar from your library. The books I use the most and purchased are, Woe Is I: The Grammar Phobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English by Patricia T. O'Conner and Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing by Mignon Fogarty.

Both of these authors have extremely helpful websites.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl

Keep in mind that these two books focus on U.S. English writing rules and do not take into account British writing.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Quadbrokie - By the way, you put the comma in the correct place, before the "but". :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
see_nicole_read
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Swamplandia!
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-nicole-read.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by see_nicole_read »

I feel the same way! I keep thinking, ok next book I read, I will write a review, and then chicken out. I am more worried about getting all my thoughts down in a clear, concise way. One day soon!
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Post by Ursula_Minor »

Good advice here! Just to clarify, a semicolon always requires an independent clause on either side. Best of luck!
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
TarinaJ
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Ophelia's Muse</a>
Currently Reading: Counting Stars
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarinaj.html
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by TarinaJ »

quadbrokie45 wrote:I have waited and today is my turn to choose a book to read for a review... Everytime I think about clicking the commit button I feel completely overwhelmed. I don't think this is normal.
First, don't stress. Pick a book you think you'll enjoy for the simple pleasure of reading it. Don't think about the review when you're picking the book. Pick a genre that you tend to read anyway so you're more likely to enjoy the book. For instance, don't pick a sci-fi book if you've never read one you liked - you probably won't like it.
I do not want to write a review that may cause any unjust to the book or author.
Second, this is not a personal assessment of the author, but an objective review of the story. What did you like? What didn't you like? What worked or what didn't? I personally highlight passages or quotes while I read that I want to refer back to later when I'm writing the review. I don't usually make notes unless it's something that really engages me or confuses me, but the highlight (or sticky tab if it's a print book) is usually enough to jog my memory.
Does anyone have any advice on a website where I can freshen up on basic grammar skills? Anything more informative other than grammar check on MSword would help!
Purdue University's Online Writing Lab has both MLA and APA format guides typically used by colleges and universities. It can be found here: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

~TJ
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I think the biggest thing to remember, is that there are people on here that will help you to improve with every review you write. The comments that they give have helped me to see where I can improve my subsequent review each and every time. They take the time to help us see where we can shore up some weaknesses, but also give encouragement in our strengths. Just like anything else, you will get better with practice, so just start writing them and go from there! Don't forget to have fun too! You are doing the author a great service by reviewing their book. It is very cool! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

rssllue wrote:I think the biggest thing to remember, is that there are people on here that will help you to improve with every review you write. The comments that they give have helped me to see where I can improve my subsequent review each and every time. They take the time to help us see where we can shore up some weaknesses, but also give encouragement in our strengths. Just like anything else, you will get better with practice, so just start writing them and go from there! Don't forget to have fun too! You are doing the author a great service by reviewing their book. It is very cool! :D
Well said. Try to enjoy the process. :)
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

Thank you for posting this topic. I am thinking that this is a more normal situation for first time reviewers than you think. I am having the same problem. I have been looking over the books available for review for a couple of days. And yet, here I am posting on the forum instead of pushing the button right away to commit to the book I've chosen. I know I am also worried about meeting the standards and taking good notes while I read. I am not used to approaching books from that direction. On the other hand, I am excited and ready to get to the steady improvement.

Does there have to be a comma in front of the but, or is it optional? <hehe; the exception that proves the rule> I used to use the comma in front of the but; however, this does not seem to be an accepted standard at my job in official correspondence and documents, so I have been trained back out of the habit of using a comma in that particular place.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

bookowlie wrote:
rssllue wrote:I think the biggest thing to remember, is that there are people on here that will help you to improve with every review you write. The comments that they give have helped me to see where I can improve my subsequent review each and every time. They take the time to help us see where we can shore up some weaknesses, but also give encouragement in our strengths. Just like anything else, you will get better with practice, so just start writing them and go from there! Don't forget to have fun too! You are doing the author a great service by reviewing their book. It is very cool! :D
Thank you! :) And agreed! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

anonanemone wrote:Thank you for posting this topic. I am thinking that this is a more normal situation for first time reviewers than you think. I am having the same problem. I have been looking over the books available for review for a couple of days. And yet, here I am posting on the forum instead of pushing the button right away to commit to the book I've chosen. I know I am also worried about meeting the standards and taking good notes while I read. I am not used to approaching books from that direction. On the other hand, I am excited and ready to get to the steady improvement.

Does there have to be a comma in front of the but, or is it optional? <hehe; the exception that proves the rule> I used to use the comma in front of the but; however, this does not seem to be an accepted standard at my job in official correspondence and documents, so I have been trained back out of the habit of using a comma in that particular place.
I have never heard of an accepted standard in any office where you wouldn't put a comma before but. The only exception is when there is a contrast with no verb - example: It was a warm but windy night.

-- 13 Sep 2015, 01:20 --
rssllue wrote:
bookowlie wrote:
Thank you! :) And agreed! :D
You are very eloquent sometimes in your Russellness. :)
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html

Post by anonanemone »

Ah! I see this is correct and the Tongue and Quill agrees with you. I will need to work on my punctuation :oops:
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

My advice is look around and mimic a style/format that works for yoiu and learn relaxation techniques:)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

anonanemone wrote:Thank you for posting this topic. I am thinking that this is a more normal situation for first time reviewers than you think. I am having the same problem. I have been looking over the books available for review for a couple of days. And yet, here I am posting on the forum instead of pushing the button right away to commit to the book I've chosen. I know I am also worried about meeting the standards and taking good notes while I read. I am not used to approaching books from that direction. On the other hand, I am excited and ready to get to the steady improvement.

Don't worry so much. :) The guidelines are not really that cumbersome. As for pushing the button and committing to a book, we all go through that, I think. I even get a little nervous before pushing the buttom to submit my review and again when submitting the ending blurb. It's still an enjoyable process to read and review books!

Return to “International Grammar”