Panick Attacks for first reviews?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

MrsBrooks78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Panick Attacks for first reviews?

Post by MrsBrooks78 »

I am very bad at grammar, but I review to get me over my fear and to help me learn as I go to help my two daughters see mommy is trying, so should try too. My spelling is bad, I actually flunked english all the way through school, but I also had ( have) learning disability's and I do not let that get to me. You can can do anything you want, you just need to push through .
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

I'm quite ahead of my peers in terms of the grasp I have on the English language and such that is why I haven't had this kind of problem. I've done a couple of reviews and what I will say is, don't think too much. Just follow the guidelines and write with your full capability. I've honed my ability to write just from browsing the internet and watching shows, so the confidence will come with time.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I always have this fear that I may do injustice to the author especially if I gave a low rating for the book, but then again I remember that they ask us for an honest review so the guilt stops. Regarding the punctuation this is my biggest problem, I always seem to use them in a wrong way.
Deneale
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deneale.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Deneale »

When I wrote my first review I was seemingly scared. I look back now and am embarrassed at those posts because they seem so out of date and different from who I have become now!

At first it will seem different. But just remember to be yourself. In the beginning I was a little stiff. Now I don't care what people think because: "Take me as I am!" Is my motto.
sweettart02

Post by sweettart02 »

All of the comments here are so encouraging! I'm fairly new to this group, but reading this post puts me more 1st ease. It's hard to put how you feel about a book into writing sometimes; it's even harder to be judged for your opinion and your own writing when you're new.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I had a panic with my first review. I think I'm doing better as I go along. I think the trick is to read it like you are editing it; read it as if it is someone else's review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I never thought that writing a review is not easy. I was actually hoping that writing a review will help me improve my grammar and my demand of the English language. I experienced having a negative score. I hope I can still make things better.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Easy bro
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I deal with it every time I pick a book for review, you aren't alone.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I must admit that I have become more keen with grammar with the critique I received from the editors.
It is a good experience and my grammar will improve.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Catia
Favorite Book: Godsgrave
Currently Reading: The priest of blood
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catia.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Catia »

I can relate to a big chunk of the above. English is not my first language, let alone the differences between English English and American English. My grammar....I hope to improve on the go. Same for punctuation.
To overcome my fear of writing a review I just signed up so I had to do this and waited for the result. ....suspenseful music.... My review was accepted 😱😱😁😁 Honestly, I didn't even dare to hope for a positive response. Today I submitted my second review and we'll see...
My biggest weaknesses is that I have the tendency to shrink my thoughts to the strictly necessary and doing so much of what I want to say get lost. And spoilers: I am never sure how much to reveal about the story.

As I see it, make the best you can and try, try and try again. You can only get better 😁
No matter how busy you think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance - Confucius

Any fool can know. The point is to understand. - Albert Einstein
Eener14
Currently Reading: The Beach House
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eener14.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Eener14 »

Thank you for posting this topic and sharing your feelings. I can assure you, you are not alone. I submitted my first review, and have been on pins and needles waiting for a response. Although it was published, which I was thrilled about, I had a few errors I should never have had! I proofread my review before submitting, but I still missed them, some were very basic. I'm interested in becoming a freelance proofreader as well, but I see I also have some work to do. I think by reading other reviews, paying attention to the suggestions of editors of our own reviews, we will all become better. I am still trying to figure out how to move on from a level 0!
Emiko07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emiko07.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by Emiko07 »

I honestly thought I was the only one whom was panicking (I still am). I am currently reading a book to review. wish me luck!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

A panic attack when posting a review? Seems a bit too much.. I mean, I'm not judging, I'm just saying that you shouldn't have panic attacks for such a simple thing. You should if you saw someone die in front of you or if you were somehow traumatised, but yeah haha it's definitely not healthy to have panic attacks over a review.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.

Return to “International Grammar”