The "Oxford comma" explained

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The "Oxford comma" explained

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

So just to clarify something..We shouldn't be putting the coma before the and? I was given many errors for use of commas but surprisingly was not given an error for a sentence I wrote where I omitted a coma and just put "and".

Is this a UK/USA thing? I would like to think I haven't forgotten how to correctly structure a sentence. However if there is a rule I would like to know so as not to make the same mistake again. It has been drilled into me to put commas before connectives such as "and" and "but" you see.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:So just to clarify something..We shouldn't be putting the coma before the and? I was given many errors for use of commas but surprisingly was not given an error for a sentence I wrote where I omitted a coma and just put "and".

Is this a UK/USA thing? I would like to think I haven't forgotten how to correctly structure a sentence. However if there is a rule I would like to know so as not to make the same mistake again. It has been drilled into me to put commas before connectives such as "and" and "but" you see.
I remember reading that some cases you can put a comma before "but." I've never heard or seen anyone put one before "and."

I'm always marked down because of commas too. I've never been marked down for not having one before a connective. I usually just add a connective word and continue the sentence. I don't ever use commas in those instances.

I'm also interested in hearing someone give a full explanation on this matter. It's very interesting how grammar is so different around the world. It opens up the conversation on whether or not it's bad grammar to write the way you were taught somewhere else.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

So I am correct in thinking one shouldn't be putting commas before an "and" if they want to avoid being marked down.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
mehmetakkoch
Currently Reading: Dark Healer
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by mehmetakkoch »

Sometimes we omit seeing some basic rules about what we know very well like grammar. Internet can not always be the best and most effective source for reaching information. Although It sometimes becomes a library, it could be a garbage for us in our short time.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:So I am correct in thinking one shouldn't be putting commas before an "and" if they want to avoid being marked down.
I would think so. I've never been marked down for not having a comma before "and." So I'm guessing that if you don't have one, it should be fine.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Duly noted. :)
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I am shocked. I've always used it the first way you mentioned and I thought the other way was wrong. I'm really confused now because in school I was always taught to use it after the 'and'. Grammar is a complicated thing...
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I would agree with @PashaRu that a stringent adherence to writing (punctuation) rules does stifle literary creativity.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:So just to clarify something..We shouldn't be putting the coma before the and? I was given many errors for use of commas but surprisingly was not given an error for a sentence I wrote where I omitted a coma and just put "and".
Keep in mind that editors don't point out every single error, especially if there are many. If there are more than 4-5, I typically only mention the 4-5 biggest issues.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I am always used to the comma before the 'and'. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I know about the Oxford comma and I wonder why some folks put comma before the article "and" when it is not necessary. But the worst is I even saw others putting comma after the conjunction "and". ^_^ ?
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader »

I use the Chicago Manual of Style, which suggests that use of the serial comma (Oxford comma) is a matter of choice. I prefer to use it because then you are never confused. And since I'm an American, I call it the Harvard comma.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader »

Well, I just lost points on a review because I used the serial comma. The editor said it was "unnecessary" and reduced my points. This is ridiculous. I always use the serial comma because I follow the Chicago Manual of Style, which recommends it. And I do not believe my score should be lowered because of it.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

"She bought red, green, and blue balloons. vs
She bought red, green and blue balloons."

The first sentence looks like she bought multiple balloons each a different color.

The second looks like she bought multiple balloons that are multi-colored with all three colors on each balloon.

That's just my personal take on it. Not from following any type of grammar rules. Which the average reader may not know, or even care about.

I often wonder why we need all the rules anyway, as I attempt to follow them. But, isn't the most basic rule of all that the reader understand what we wrote? And that commas, and other assorted punctuation, should be used in whatever place is appropriate to convey the message?

With all the Experts out in the world, who is the Ultimate Authority? In my mind...The Reader. The qualifying question... Did you understand me?
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Dael Reader wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 08:31 Well, I just lost points on a review because I used the serial comma. The editor said it was "unnecessary" and reduced my points. This is ridiculous. I always use the serial comma because I follow the Chicago Manual of Style, which recommends it. And I do not believe my score should be lowered because of it.
I'm not saying that you should, or shouldn't, but you do have the option to contest it. Simply cite your source for the punctuation rules that you are following.

Return to “International Grammar”