The "Oxford comma" explained

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: The "Oxford comma" explained

Post by bookowlie »

Hillary will reply that the Oxford comma has been deleted from all emails on her private server. I do love campagin season. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
JennClose12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JennClose12 »

Uh, I remember learning about that in journalism. Before that though I sometimes used a comma before 'and' whole also at other times I didn't.
megaleg709
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megaleg709.html

Post by megaleg709 »

I think before an Oxford comma is used, the writer should speak the sentence out loud without it to see if it really and truly belongs there. I find that when I speak my written words out loud, sometimes grey areas such as this easily work themselves out.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Commas have always been a pain in the butt to me. The rules governing the use of commas are like pennies - the copper itself is worth more than the face value of the coin. When I write I am conscious of at least making an attempt to include proper punctuation, but often the mental energy required risks affecting the very quality of writing upon which I am attempting to concentrate.

To those who are perfectly, expertly, unmistakably proficient in being able to place commas in their proper place, may you live and prosper; as for me, I drop commas all over the place like grated cheese on spaghetti. I put them where I think they should go on the fly and then devil take the hindmost.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

megaleg709 wrote:I think before an Oxford comma is used, the writer should speak the sentence out loud without it to see if it really and truly belongs there. I find that when I speak my written words out loud, sometimes grey areas such as this easily work themselves out.
I would agree & suggest that applies to all writing. IMO the criteria is, does it make sense when read aloud & is it possible to read the sentence or paragraph aloud without dropping dead from lack of ozygen. :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Stacy_Lynn

Post by Stacy_Lynn »

I'm so glad I came across this post! The Oxford comma and its use before "and" has always been so confusing to me, as I've seen writers who use it and those who don't use it in simple sentences. I've researched the topic a number of times, but I have never quite discovered a straightforward answer to explain the rule. Your post explained what I needed to know perfectly! Thank you!
aneet2_5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aneet2-5.html

Post by aneet2_5 »

I was always told at school that using and comma before a and was wrong so I've never done it so often.
NOLABorne

Post by NOLABorne »

Oh wow, that makes a ton of sense. I've been using the comma since I was a kid. It was beaten into me by teachers I assume. Of course, that was a Louisiana school system, which likely explains a lot. In any case, this was a very helpful post, Moderntimes. I'll make sure to do things the right way henceforth. Does this count as being educated at Oxford?
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

You learn something new every day! I went to school so long ago that I had no idea the rules had changed. I've been putting a comma before the and for quite some time! Ugh, and I pride myself on knowing these things! :oops:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
stanley
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley.html
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett

Post by stanley »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:I always use the comma, I think.

He ran, slid, and landed in the pond.

I'm eating red, green, and yellow apples.

Some people are tall, some people are short, and some people are in between.

Are you saying those examples are wrong?
The first and third sentences are compound sentences with three independent clauses. It's proper to separate independent clauses in a compound sentences with a comma. ('Slid' , though it is only a single word is a clause in that it's a predicate verb with an understood subject. Like wise, 'landed'. As for the the single clause second sentence one can argue preferences.
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett
demetria
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 13018">The Waters of Eternal Youth</a>
Currently Reading: Deep Sea and Foreign Going
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by demetria »

I always think that one main point of grammar and punctuation is to make sure that what is being said or written makes sense, and is clear. If it makes the meaning clear to include a comma before 'and', then do so. And those who decide on house style should stick to this basic rule.
swgorrell+
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by swgorrell+ »

And.....this has been so hard for me.

I consider myself a "comma freak." I was "old school".....and I used commas.

I've recently begun writing a book with another author who was a writing teacher. She, and another writing teacher, informed me that the rules have changed. Commas are over-used.

First, there was Common Core that changed the way Math is being done.....now, they're changing my comma rules. What name did they give to that?
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I remember being taught that one should never use a comma before 'and'. Yet I saw it used in way too many books! I was really confused about whether I was taught wrong, I learnt wrong or the rule was relaxed! Thanks for the tip about it being used in particular places! I still have to learn more about it though.
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

Thanks for this! I've always considered myself a well educated fan of the Oxford Comma, if nothing else. :P Glad to see this post is here.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I have a major problem with commas in general. I'm always either not using them at all or using too many. I'm always getting marked down simply because of commas! They are absolutely frightening to me.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “International Grammar”