Use underlining, italics, or quotation marks for titles?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Use underlining, italics, or quotation marks for titles?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, he should be more famous than Spider Man, in my opinion.

"Whenever there's a misused word... I'll be here." :auto-swerve:
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Aaaaand, Grammarman once more steps into the fray! "It's 'Spider-Man' with a hyphen." ha ha

Hey, I should know. I've got a Marvel Comics "Amazing Fantasy #15" in my comic collection. That's the comic in which Spidey first appears. It's carefully put away right next to my first edition of James Joyce's "Ulysses" (1924, Shakespeare & Co., Paris).
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

One of these days, you're going to misspeak, and when you do... I'll be here. HA HA HA.

Awesome collection! I have a rebound Jane Eyre from 1954, complete with full-color illustrations, but it's not worth anything. I love it, though!
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

My 3 "keeper" books are my signed first edition of Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian", my first edition of Joyce's "Ulysses", and my "Amazing Fantasy #15".

Google and check out what they are worth, heh heh.

I've also got a bunch of original underground comix such as Wonder Wart Hog, the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, the Checkered Demon, and many others, like a Zap #0 and a Zap #1. Keen.

Got the "Ulysses" years ago at an estate sale. The gal I was dating at the time wanted to go and look for some nifty furniture, and I couldn't think of a worse way to "waste" our Saturday afternoon. But I liked her and we went. While she was looking around I saw a bookcase full of old books, and since I'm a bookworm, I looked them over, and saw this reddish old book and on the spine "Ulysses" and I took it out. It was a FIRST edition, Shakespeare & Co. Paris, 1924. I asked the guy running the sale "How much" and he said, well, it's in pretty good condition... twenty bucks? Man, that twenty zinged out of my wallet so fast the ink was left hanging in the air.

Sometimes ya get lucky.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA HA... great story! And proof that something good comes from every relationship. ;-)

I thought that finding stuff like that at a yard sale was just an urban legend. Geez Louise.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

The internet prices are for perfect condition editions, and my stuff is not-- it's been around. But the monetary value isn't the key -- it's the joy of having something fun to look at occasionally.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I agree. I love special things! I live in an environment where I'm surrounded by such items that I've gathered over the years, and it makes me very happy.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Do you italicize a series of books? I can't find a definite answer to this.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Tanaya wrote:Do you italicize a series of books? I can't find a definite answer to this.
According to the Chicago Manual of Style, you would italicise the official title of a series of books, such as The Chronicles of Amber and Lord of the Rings. However, an unofficial titile of a book series, such as the Harry Potter series, would not be italicized. I generally don't put a book series in italics, as I don't always know if it's an official name of the series.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks! I just went ahead and italicized to be on the safe side.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Bookowlie is correct. Italics for the actual name of a book or play or literary work. Don't use italics if you're just mentioning the series name in a non-official way.

But adding italics is okay. If you're consistent, that's the key. Later on, as your book or story or whatever gets published, the editors will make the needed changes. And editors or publishers do NOT care if you've departed from precise punctuation styles or rules, just so long as you're consistent. It's no biggie and all will get corrected in the galley proofs.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very true.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
jamesfcurry

Post by jamesfcurry »

I think rules are very clean for everybody!
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I had a recent "event" in my publishing journey. My 1st novel was published with no hassle. Then I approved the galleys for book 2 and it went into final setup. When my editor sent me the approved galleys just prior to printing, I quickly noticed that ALL the italics had been deleted! All of them.

As you know, for standard typography (mostly for fiction) italics denote a sound, a movie or TV show title, book titles, sub rosa comments made in the narrator's mind, and foreign phrases.

I immediately contacted my editor and she realized that there'd been a glitch. Apparently this new revision of print setup software had a bug and if you didn't set the options just exactly right, it would remove all special emphasis fonts, like italics. I'm guessing it would to the same for underlining or bold but neither of these are used in standard book print fonts, only italics.

Thankfully the glitch was fixed and my 2nd novel was published with the original italics in the proper place. Whew!
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

Thank you! Very helpful information.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Return to “International Grammar”