Is this sentence correct?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Is this sentence correct?

Post by Blackstenius »

'After Queen Guinevere led the knights, Elias, Varnell, Shane, and Martain, to bring down Zorgar, Camelot is positioned to experience peace again."

"...led the knights, Elias..." That comma between 'knights' and 'Elias', is it necessary? Is the above sentence grammatically correct?
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
destinystretton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by destinystretton »

yes, it is correct.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

namesake wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 00:58 'After Queen Guinevere led the knights, Elias, Varnell, Shane, and Martain, to bring down Zorgar, Camelot is positioned to experience peace again."

"...led the knights, Elias..." That comma between 'knights' and 'Elias', is it necessary? Is the above sentence grammatically correct?
Hi,

It seems that Elias, Varnell, Shane, and Martain are all knights. If so, then your sentence is correct as written. With the comma after “knights,” the names are used as an appositive—they add specifics but are not absolutely required for the sentence to make sense. And the comma after “Martain” signals the end of the appositive. That’s the easy answer.

Removing the comma after “knights” would make it an attributive noun, a noun functioning as an adjective. In this case, the names are significant: you want to stress that these are the particular knights the queen led. If you remove the comma after “knights,” the comma after “Martain” may need to be removed if the phrase “to bring down Zorgar” is also essential to the meaning of the sentence. I have taken the names out temporarily to focus on the rest of the sentence:
After Queen Guinevere led the knights to bring down Zorgar, Camelot is positioned to experience peace again.

If the phrase is not essential, the comma can remain, and the meaning becomes:
After Queen Guinevere led the knights, Camelot is positioned to experience peace again.

I like using attributive nouns, but sometimes that can make the writing more ambiguous. I have submitted several recheck requests because of my use of attributive nouns. If you are ok with the names being an appositive, I suggest keeping the comma after “knights” in your example.

Here is a link on appositives:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... tives.html

Here is a link that addresses attributive nouns:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... adjectives

Also, I don’t want to make this even more complicated, but you may consider changing the tense of the primary clause depending on the rest of the paragraph. If the rest of the paragraph is in past tense, consider changing “is” to “was.” If the context is present tense, then it is fine as is. :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

MsH2k wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 14:40
namesake wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 00:58 'After Queen Guinevere led the knights, Elias, Varnell, Shane, and Martain, to bring down Zorgar, Camelot is positioned to experience peace again."

Hi,

It seems that Elias, Varnell, Shane, and Martain are all knights. If so, then your sentence is correct as written. With the comma after “knights,” the names are used as an appositive—they add specifics but are not absolutely required for the sentence to make sense. And the comma after “Martain” signals the end of the appositive. That’s the easy answer.

Removing the comma after “knights” would make it an attributive noun, a noun functioning as an adjective. In this case, the names are significant: you want to stress that these are the particular knights the queen led. If you remove the comma after “knights,” the comma after “Martain” may need to be removed if the phrase “to bring down Zorgar” is also essential to the meaning of the sentence. I have taken the names out temporarily to focus on the rest of the sentence:
After Queen Guinevere led the knights to bring down Zorgar, Camelot is positioned to experience peace again.

If the phrase is not essential, the comma can remain, and the meaning becomes:
After Queen Guinevere led the knights, Camelot is positioned to experience peace again.

I like using attributive nouns, but sometimes that can make the writing more ambiguous. I have submitted several recheck requests because of my use of attributive nouns. If you are ok with the names being an appositive, I suggest keeping the comma after “knights” in your example.

Here is a link on appositives:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... tives.html

Here is a link that addresses attributive nouns:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... adjectives

Also, I don’t want to make this even more complicated, but you may consider changing the tense of the primary clause depending on the rest of the paragraph. If the rest of the paragraph is in past tense, consider changing “is” to “was.” If the context is present tense, then it is fine as is. :greetings-waveyellow:
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

namesake wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 20:00 Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
You're very welcome. Your question gave me my puzzle fix for the day. :D
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”