Semi-colon Issue in Review

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

AmyDiMaio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amydimaio.html
Latest Review: OUCH! The Pain of Modern Civilization by Dr. Ajay Issar & Alka Issar

Semi-colon Issue in Review

Post by AmyDiMaio »

I am writing a review for a novel, and I want to use a semi-colon. When I wrote the sentence "There was an unexpectedly high level of violence, even for a crime novel; a gore warning should have been added.", I got an error from Grammarly saying there is something wrong with what came after the semi-colon, but I don't know what. I tried using a period instead of a colon and it is still highlighted as having a problem.
Shane Lucey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-lucey.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shane Lucey »

AmyDiMaio wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 04:04 I am writing a review for a novel, and I want to use a semi-colon. When I wrote the sentence "There was an unexpectedly high level of violence, even for a crime novel; a gore warning should have been added.", I got an error from Grammarly saying there is something wrong with what came after the semi-colon, but I don't know what. I tried using a period instead of a colon and it is still highlighted as having a problem.
"There was an unexpectedly high level of violence, even for a crime novel; a warning for gore should have been added."

Does that appease the Grammarly Gods?
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

AmyDiMaio wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 04:04 "There was an unexpectedly high level of violence, even for a crime novel; a gore warning should have been added."
Hi,

I don’t see anything technically wrong with the sentence as you have written it. You have used the semicolon correctly, separating two independent causes. Grammar checkers can give false or unclear guidance, especially with punctuation. It may be trying to parse your sentence differently for clarity. Perhaps connecting the phrase “even for a crime novel” to the second clause would make the sentence clearer:

There was an unexpectedly high level of violence; even for a crime novel, a gore warning should have been added.

FYI, here is an excellent reference on semicolons, but I think this particular issue is style related.

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/semicolon.html
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
lucyoscar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lucyoscar »

Use a semicolon to indicate that the two sentences are to be given equal weight. A list or series is introduced by a colon.

Return to “International Grammar”