Is the sentence grammatically correct?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Is the sentence grammatically correct?

Post by sayoniwrites »

Hi,

I came across the following sentence while reading a book. I would like to know whether this is grammatically correct. Any help is appreciated :tiphat:

"Hadn't I a mission to fail?"

Context: Could I be obliterated from the leaves of history---just like that? Hadn't I a mission to fail? I didn't know it then, but I had been born to fulfil someone else's destiny.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

sayoniwrites wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 01:35 Hi,

I came across the following sentence while reading a book. I would like to know whether this is grammatically correct. Any help is appreciated :tiphat:

Context: Could I be obliterated from the leaves of history---just like that? Hadn't I a mission to fail? I didn't know it then, but I had been born to fulfil someone else's destiny.
Hi,

I think it’s fine as written. I tried looking up the exact phrasing for this usage, but the closest I can come up with is it is like a combination of inversion and starting a question with a negative auxiliary verb.

Here are some other possible ways of wording it, but I can't see a grammatical problem with the way it is currently written:
Didn’t I have a mission to fail?
Had I not a mission to fail?
Did I not have a mission to fail?
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

If the sentence is in quotes, even if it's technically grammatically incorrect, you find count it as an error. The rules are liberal with quotes. I believe the sentence is correct though.
sayoniwrites

Post by sayoniwrites »

MsH2k wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 20:11
sayoniwrites wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 01:35 Hi,

Hi,

I think it’s fine as written. I tried looking up the exact phrasing for this usage, but the closest I can come up with is it is like a combination of inversion and starting a question with a negative auxiliary verb.

Here are some other possible ways of wording it, but I can't see a grammatical problem with the way it is currently written:
Didn’t I have a mission to fail?
Had I not a mission to fail?
Did I not have a mission to fail?
Thank you so much for the help :tiphat:
sayoniwrites

Post by sayoniwrites »

Julie Gebrosky wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 22:36 If the sentence is in quotes, even if it's technically grammatically incorrect, you find count it as an error. The rules are liberal with quotes. I believe the sentence is correct though.
Thanks for the suggestion :tiphat:
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

sayoniwrites wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 01:44
Julie Gebrosky wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 22:36 If the sentence is in quotes, even if it's technically grammatically incorrect, you find count it as an error. The rules are liberal with quotes. I believe the sentence is correct though.
Thanks for the suggestion :tiphat:
No problem!

Well, this is embarrassing. I just realized my message said “find count” when it should be “can’t count”. Thanks, autocorrect. It’s pretty embarrassing to have an error in the thread about errors. :oops: Sorry everyone!

Return to “International Grammar”