Grammatically Correct?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Grammatically Correct?

Post by Tonia Freeman »

What is your take on this sentence grammatically?

"As the book unfolds, I was driven to find these answers and answer the new questions that seemed to pop up with each twist and turn. The questions circling my mind kept me glued to the pages and counting down the minutes until I could once again be immersed in the action-packed world of terrorists, their plots, and those fighting to keep the world safe."

Thanks for the help.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 16:38 What is your take on this sentence grammatically?

"As the book unfolds, I was driven to find these answers and answer the new questions that seemed to pop up with each twist and turn. The questions circling my mind kept me glued to the pages and counting down the minutes until I could once again be immersed in the action-packed world of terrorists, their plots, and those fighting to keep the world safe."

Thanks for the help.
Hi there. In the first sentence, I would stick with one type of tense. In this case, since you're narrating an experience you had, I'd use the past tense.

"As the story [unfolded], I was driven to find these answers and answer the new questions that seemed to pop up with each twist and turn."

If you choose to use the present tense, though, it wouldn't only be about your experience.

"As the story unfolds, the reader is driven to find these answers and answer the new questions that seem to pop up with each twist and turn."

I hope this helps!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 16:38 What is your take on this sentence grammatically?

Thanks for the help.
Hello.

Thank you for the inquiry. As @C Janet mentioned above, there is an inconsistency in your tenses. Kindly read her suggestions. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Thanks for the help. I guess in my mind "driven" is current tense, in this situation because it's something you are not something you do. I think of "drove" as the past tense of driven. Maybe it's a location base use (Midwest)?

"I am driven to get answers."
"I drove over to her house."

The only time I use "drive" is when referring to an auto, plus none of my checks dinged it. I just wish we didn't get docked 10 points for pretty minor errors. I do try and work hard on edits and re-edit them many times and it seems I always miss something. :ecrivain: :gaah:

Anyway thank you both.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 10:12 Thanks for the help. I guess in my mind "driven" is current tense, in this situation because it's something you are not something you do. I think of "drove" as the past tense of driven. Maybe it's a location base use (Midwest)?

"I am driven to get answers."
"I drove over to her house."

The only time I use "drive" is when referring to an auto, plus none of my checks dinged it. I just wish we didn't get docked 10 points for pretty minor errors. I do try and work hard on edits and re-edit them many times and it seems I always miss something. :ecrivain: :gaah:

Anyway thank you both.
You're welcome!

And you are right about "driven" being an adjective in this case—something you are—and not a verb. The verbs that come before it are what determine the tense, like in the sentences below.

"I [was] driven to get answers."
"I [am] driven to get answers."

Drove is the past tense of drive, while driven is the past participle (the reason it is an adjective in this case). But that wasn't the error, though, was it?

I know how frustrating it is to lose points for a minor error. We do learn from every mistake, though, so there's that.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP

Post by Tonia Freeman »

No, I lost points on the word, “unfolds”.

Return to “International Grammar”