American English versus British English: Spelling

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Re: American English versus British English: Spelling

Post by mratdegraff91 »

This forum has been extremely helpful. I am trying to improve my writing skills mainly for reviews at this time but wanted to know more on the difference between British spelling and English spelling. I have noticed differences in some of my most recent reads and found it curious. Thank you all for sharing your information.
Madison Degraffenreid
Jonathan Trapman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathan Trapman »

I am thrilled this topic is here as I have recently been confronted with a huge decision writing my latest book.

The subject and action is very much around a British journalist in New York with a plot line that involves a very American story and thus action there as well as Europe and elsewhere.

As a writer I have had huge challenges over my 50 year professional life struggling to come to terms, or at least a certain peaceful co-existence, with US English. Being faced with whether to write in British English or US I felt it was about time I took the bull by the horns and faced my self created demons.

I therefore wrote it in US English. It was a hugely therapeutic choice and has been a profoundly 'healing' experience on this conundrum.
No doubt many who are more used to UK English find the obsessive prevalence of US Spellcheck Command a challenge if not sometimes downright annoying. Yet once I had settled these 'ghosts' in my cupboard (closet) it became a mere game of choice, without a sting. It not only added enjoyment to writing but also allowed my reading to be far less interrupted by US English.

I have to also come clean here, in as much as before I encountered this choice of use of English, say 15 years ago, my reading never really picked up on different authors using it. Was this my shallow perception or was the use of US English less prevalent then? Hmm. Thoughts?

Another useful and creative factor that arises from this seemingly constant debate/discussion and battle is using English use for English characters and US English for US characters. It would be interesting to hear of any of you who have seen this creativity used noticeably by authors.

One personal example for me was when an English character talked about his trousers and I felt it would have been very awkward to have him refer to his 'pants'. He! He! Do you see what fun one can have with the written word?

So thanks for this thread a very live and fascinating issue for me and it seems for many.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Batesblogger wrote:
Obviously your location and where you learned spelling and grammar will have a huge impact on this. Have you ever changed the way you personally spell things to suit your audience better? Have you ever received a bad review because the reviewer did not agree with the version of English spelling you chose?

I've been dinged on reviews because I used the British form. The British form was used in the book but we can't contest reviews............ I've also been dinged for using British terminology because the reviewer didn't realize the terminology was correct. One example is that the author used London's ton to review to their high society. This was actually pretty common usage in the 19th century but clearly the reviewer didn't know that. Both of these happened in the same review and ended up causing me to have my only rejection for a submitted review.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I am an indian and i use british english, even to review books in this site. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

I'm originally from the US, but I live in Australia now.
Here is my (mostly gibberish) interpretation of how to write like an Australian:
"I donned by guersey before checking my tyres. Then I drove to the footy on the quay by the gaol. Smashed it. Stopped for some snags and chooks for the barbie. Realised something. No worries."
*bows*
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I generally use American English.And sometimes mix it up with the English one :?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

CatInTheHat wrote: I've been dinged on reviews because I used the British form. The British form was used in the book but we can't contest reviews............ I've also been dinged for using British terminology because the reviewer didn't realize the terminology was correct. One example is that the author used London's ton to review to their high society. This was actually pretty common usage in the 19th century but clearly the reviewer didn't know that. Both of these happened in the same review and ended up causing me to have my only rejection for a submitted review.

Oops....... my error in my post.... Should have said "One example is that the author used London's ton to REFER to their high society."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Since I'm from America and learned to write this way, I use American English. I would never try to replicate British English (unless my setting is in a British country) out of respect in not messing up their way of writing! Although, I do love reading British English books. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by annieeb »

I think people should spell according to where they live but I don't see it as a huge problem. I studied abroad last semester in the UK and noticed many different spellings between American English and British English. I would occasionally try to change my spelling of words such as color to colour in my essays but my lecturers never marked me down for American English spelling. To some extent, I don't notice the differences anymore because I love many British and American authors and am exposed to both types of spellings often.
demetria
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 13018">The Waters of Eternal Youth</a>
Currently Reading: Deep Sea and Foreign Going
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by demetria »

I would say, as a reader, go for consistency, but where characters are of a nationality using a different English, then have them use it in their speech, thoughts and in reporting anything they write. When it comes to punctuation differences - I wonder how many British readers would notice the differences, especially as many people have to think about which side of speech marks or brackets to put the full stops or commas anyway.
Bookworm Beth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-beth.html

Post by Bookworm Beth »

I'm not an author, but I find myself accidentally spelling words the same way I have read them. Half of the time I end up witing/typing about flavours or colours etc. and have to correct myself. Am I strange or do other people do this?
ramblinggnomes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html

Post by ramblinggnomes »

I´m an EFL teacher and I work in an academy that has a mix of American, British and Australian teachers. Whether to use British English, American English or a mix has always been an issue. I take the same approach in my work as I do in my reviews. I accept both as long as they are correct and consistent. However, even consistency can be an issue with other types of English such as Australian. Also, English can change according to region so what´s acceptable in the north is very different from the south. Also, don´t take it for granted that because one word is assigned as "British" that it´s actually used. My American colleague and I have discovered that we have many unexpected differences but even more unexpected similarities. I myself am British but now use some American terms.
It´s a very complicated area. I tend to review for consistency and whether or not it´s realistic. If a British author is writing dialogue for an American character then they should really use American English and I would take that into account in my review.
harold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harold.html

Post by harold »

You are writing for people so you .
So you must give them what they need/want
The text must be clear and easy to understand, without ambiguities.
Some words have different meanings in the two languages - such as lift, rubber, braces.
So you need to choose and know your market.
Empathry
Currently Reading: Curtain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empathry.html

Post by Empathry »

Haha... That's a good question.

Writing is reflective of the author's world. To write powerfully, the author has to be authentic. Including grammar and spelling. Of course, grammar and spelling should be accurate, whichever dictionary you follow. Basically it can't be your own language!

That's what makes if possible for great writers such as JK Rowling to have international appeal. Create new characters and vocabulary, while keeping grammar syntax and spelling pristine.
abhishek7081
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by abhishek7081 »

so much to learn!

Return to “International Grammar”