Is the phrase used here restrictive or non-restrictive?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Is the phrase used here restrictive or non-restrictive?

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Hi all,

I am really confused about the comma usage in the following sentences. Which is correct and why? I think the first one is correct, but I am unsure. Credible academic writing sources to support your response are very highly encouraged. Thank you!

"No one thought that, after playing the baseball game, he would be so tired."

"No one thought that after playing the baseball game, he would be so tired."
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Hi,

The ultimate credible writing source to support the correct usage would be the writer of the sentence. It depends on their intent. I think the second sentence is correct because it seems as if “that” and everything that follows is the direct object of the sentence, so the first comma is not needed. The second comma is correct after the prepositional phrase. Including the first comma would imply that “after playing the baseball game” is nonessential, but it seems that it is: he is so tired because he played the baseball game.
Another option would be to move the prepositional phrase to the end:
“No one thought he would be so tired after playing the baseball game.”

Depending on the writer’s intent, these references can support either case. https://www.englishgrammar101.com/modul ... al-phrases
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ommas.html
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

MsH2k wrote: 23 May 2022, 18:52 Hi,

The ultimate credible writing source to support the correct usage would be the writer of the sentence. It depends on their intent. I think the second sentence is correct because it seems as if “that” and everything that follows is the direct object of the sentence, so the first comma is not needed. The second comma is correct after the prepositional phrase. Including the first comma would imply that “after playing the baseball game” is nonessential, but it seems that it is: he is so tired because he played the baseball game.

Depending on the writer’s intent, these references can support either case. https://www.englishgrammar101.com/modul ... al-phrases
Thank you so much! This explanation makes a lot of sense. The first source was very helpful for determining which of these sentences is correct. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Katie Canedy wrote: 23 May 2022, 20:13
MsH2k wrote: 23 May 2022, 18:52 Hi,

Thank you so much! This explanation makes a lot of sense. The first source was very helpful for determining which of these sentences is correct. :)
You're very welcome! I'm glad it helped.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rakesh+12345
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Rakesh+12345 »

Second one is the correct.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger