Grammar Vs Checked

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jazminelilac01
Favorite Book: The Attuned
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazminelilac01.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Grammar Vs Checked

Post by Jazminelilac01 »

Please, I need your help in checking these grammars that I used in my recent review, but were marked as incorrect by an editor:

1. is a memoir by Tina Dreffin about her adventure with her husband, Peter, and their two sons, Adam and Warren, by sail across the ocean.

Correction: is a memoir by Tina Dreffin about her adventure with her husband, Peter, and their two sons, Adam and Warren, by [a]sail across the ocean.

*Note: what I mean by 'Sail' in this write up is 'Ship' or 'boat'. I think that putting 'a' or not is a matter of choice, not necessarily a grammatical error.

2. Later in the journey, Adam and Warren's friends, Sam and Gary, who are also brothers, joined them on the adventure.

Correction: Later in the journey, Adam and Warren's friends, Sam and Gary, who are also brothers, [join] them on the adventure.

*Firstly, this does not even sound correct to me, even if I have to replace that I will probably use 'joins' instead of 'join'. Secondly, this is a real life adventure with real people, and those two are actually brothers, and that doesn't change after the trip. So I don't really see anything wrong with using 'joined' in the sentence.

3. The adventure also brought them up close to various sea and land wildlife on many occasions.

Correction: The adventure also brought them up close to [the] various sea and land wildlife on many occasions.

* The last time I checked, 'the' is some kind of definite article which will only mean that I am implying that Tina and her family saw all the wildlife in the sea and on land, of which they didn't, though they saw a lot of them, but not all.

Sorry for bugging you will these, but please, I really need help in settling this.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Hi.

In #1, you are correct. Since you meant a mode of travel, the article is not needed. This link supports your position. https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/i ... 21417.html

In  #2, I do not see anything wrong with using joined. It agrees in tense with the rest of the sentence. If you have been sharing all other events in the past, even with the phrase later in the journey, everything is still happening in the past. The nonessential element who are brothers is in present tense, but that does not affect the rest of the sentence. As you pointed out, they will always be brothers; that does not affect when things happened on the trip.
(BTW,  the correct present tense form would be join because it agrees with the plural noun friends.)

In #3, the article the is not required because wildlife is an uncountable noun and you were not referring to specific wildlife. Here is an excellent reference on countable and uncountable nouns: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... tives.html

I hope this has been helpful.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jazminelilac01
Currently Reading:

Post by Jazminelilac01 »

Thank you so much @MsH2k, I will check those links out right away.
Jazminelilac01
Currently Reading:

Post by Jazminelilac01 »

"(BTW, the correct present tense form would be join because it agrees with the plural noun friends.)"
@MsH2k Yes, you are very correct. I was very upset when I was writing this. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

Return to “International Grammar”