Comma usage

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Ashley_Meneely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-meneely.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Icon Comma usage

Post by Ashley_Meneely »

1) She immediately returns to the bench with Gregory[,] minutes before her accident occurs.

2) I grew worried towards the end when none of Anaya's problems reached a resolution[,] before remembering this was part of a series!

3) I[,] therefore[,] rate this book a 3 out of 4.

I have been receiving a lot of points off for the use or non-use of commas. I do not know the grammatical terms, but I can usually tell when a sentence is wrong or not by looking at it. Senior year of high school, I scored a perfect 36/36 on the English portion of the ACT, so I am having a hard time understanding why my commas are being marked wrong so often. I have not scored well in my first 3 reviews, and this last one was rejected. The above remarks are all I recieved as feedback. Sentence one and two I used the commas, while sentence 3 I did not.

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with these commas?

Thank you.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can tell you that the third one is an interrupter which should be offset by commas. If you Google interrupters (I would add the word grammar because the interrupters are apparently a band as well), you'll find some good information. As for errors one and two, you would have to determine if it's a restrictive or non-restrictive clause. You can Google that to find the punctuation rules. However, it isn't always clear if it's restrictive or non-restrictive. Hope that helps some.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Comma usage is also one of my biggest downfalls when doing reviews. I agree more feedback is required from the editors when they are scoring. If clear feedback is not given, one has to figure it out.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 10:02 I can tell you that the third one is an interrupter which should be offset by commas. If you Google interrupters (I would add the word grammar because the interrupters are apparently a band as well), you'll find some good information. As for errors one and two, you would have to determine if it's a restrictive or non-restrictive clause. You can Google that to find the punctuation rules. However, it isn't always clear if it's restrictive or non-restrictive. Hope that helps some.
Thank you for the insights. I think I'll also benefit from researching about comma usage with interrupters, restrictive clause, and restrictive clause.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I have met similar feedback. There's also the issue of a comma before 'and', left me wondering if there were updated grammar rules I needed to familiarise myself with.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ntokozo Joy wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 11:23 I have met similar feedback. There's also the issue of a comma before 'and', left me wondering if there were updated grammar rules I needed to familiarise myself with.
For the most part, you don't need a comma before and unless what comes after could be a complete sentence.

For example:

I went to the store, and I got milk.

I went to the store and got milk.

Both correct.
—Neil Gaiman
eclecticredhead
Favorite Book: Tweak
Currently Reading: The Red Badge of Courage
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticredhead.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour
Reading Device: iphone

Post by eclecticredhead »

I also have met with this issue, and I'm glad you mention it. I am sure that the editors know what they're doing and I would never second guess them or complain, however, I find myself growing disheartened. I've bought several new books on grammar and punctuation that I've been pouring over in hopes of it helping. I reread comma rules over and over, and feel that I have a firm understanding of their functions. And then, yet again, an incredibly low score because I've either included too many or not enough commas. I am growing to dread them. Perhaps I shall only write extremely short sentences. Back to the books!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

If you believe you are right, request a recheck. If they won't change it and you still believe you're right, request an admin recheck.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley_Meneely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-meneely.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Ashley_Meneely »

Thanks, you guys! I'm just going to read up more I guess!

Return to “International Grammar”