The phrase 'A chance meeting'

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Courtnee Redeaux
Currently Reading: Lore
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtnee-redeaux.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

The phrase 'A chance meeting'

Post by Courtnee Redeaux »

It's my understanding that describing a meeting with the adjective form of chance is grammatically correct. It implies that the meeting was unexpected and unplanned. Is that what it conveys to you or have you never heard this phrasing?
Melissa H 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Melissa H 2 »

Never heard of this phrase.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I have heard this used and "unexpected and unplanned" sounds about right. It might also depend on context.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “International Grammar”