Commas BEFORE dependent clauses

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Commas BEFORE dependent clauses

Post by Dustin Stopher »

I had this question in response to a recent note I received and wanted some more opinions. If I had a sentence like:

“The book’s research is not only life-changing, but also life-saving.”

or,

“I felt that the information was insightful to modern scientists, and that in the future it will be critical to take into consideration.”

Would the commas included be incorrect? I’ve seen commas used very often in this way to signify a pause, and while they are not formally needed because they do not connect independent clauses, I thought that it was perfectly valid to include them as a stylistic choice. Am I wrong here? Is there some official rule that prohibits comma usage in this way?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

You do not use commas before dependent clauses. The commas given in these examples are incorrect. It is an objective grammar error.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Dustin Stopher wrote: I had this question in response to a recent note I received and wanted some more opinions. If I had a sentence like:

or,

“I felt that the information was insightful to modern scientists, and that in the future it will be critical to take into consideration.”

Would the commas included be incorrect? I’ve seen commas used very often in this way to signify a pause, and while they are not formally needed because they do not connect independent clauses, I thought that it was perfectly valid to include them as a stylistic choice. Am I wrong here? Is there some official rule that prohibits comma usage in this way?
I wonder, then, if you could use a hyphen for emphasis? That seems a bit harsh, but that may only be because most people don't use hyphens very often. It seems that the rule takes precedence over clarity sometimes. I think that applies to many things in life! I think adherence to rules sometimes makes writers sound like writer-robot-people but, because you're a "writer" rather than an individual, there's less chance of being targeted for anything on a more personal level. I guess, however wrong this may sound, that's good for sensitive people and bad for antagonist people:D There are probably other good reasons for standards!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 00:33
Dustin Stopher wrote: I had this question in response to a recent note I received and wanted some more opinions. If I had a sentence like:

or,

I wonder, then, if you could use a hyphen for emphasis? That seems a bit harsh, but that may only be because most people don't use hyphens very often. It seems that the rule takes precedence over clarity sometimes. I think that applies to many things in life! I think adherence to rules sometimes makes writers sound like writer-robot-people but, because you're a "writer" rather than an individual, there's less chance of being targeted for anything on a more personal level. I guess, however wrong this may sound, that's good for sensitive people and bad for antagonist people:D There are probably other good reasons for standards!
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I’m actually now wondering if hyphens or em dashes would work for emphasis. I agree that adhering to the rule in this instance makes the writing to sound robotic, though I’m sure there’s good reason for the rule. If anyone knows if dashes or hyphens would work in the above examples, I’d love an answer to that question. But I believe I’ll stick to the rule from now on. :)

Return to “International Grammar”