Grammar Name for Confusing Phrasing

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Grammar Name for Confusing Phrasing

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Is there a specific name for a sentence that is confusing?
I usually write "redundancy" or "confusing phrase" but would like to know if there is a better way to identify it.

thanks
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 11:14 Is there a specific name for a sentence that is confusing?
I usually write "redundancy" or "confusing phrase" but would like to know if there is a better way to identify it.

thanks
I don't know if it is a specific name for this situation, but I've seen the term "awkward phrasing," which I think is respectful.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I agree with MsH2k on this one. Using "awkward phrasing" is a really good one. I have seen the phrase "unclear sentence structure" used before too, which may also work.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

MsH2k wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 12:36
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 11:14 Is there a specific name for a sentence that is confusing?

thanks
I don't know if it is a specific name for this situation, but I've seen the term "awkward phrasing," which I think is respectful.
Thank you, the sentence was really confusing unfortunately I'll have to label it as an error. I wanted to be sure I put a clear "label" :tiphat:
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Katie Canedy wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 20:37 I agree with MsH2k on this one. Using "awkward phrasing" is a really good one. I have seen the phrase "unclear sentence structure" used before too, which may also work.
I like that one :tiphat:

Return to “International Grammar”