Pre-destination or Predestination

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Pre-destination or Predestination

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am currently reading a book called "Pre-Destination" and the author keeps mentioning this word written like this, with a hyphen.
However, she does talk about a person being "predestined" not "pre-destined."
My impression is that the author specifically used this hyphen to accentuate the meaning the word: your future has been decided before your birth.
The question is: should I mention this as an error (all the times the author used this form)? Or should I mention it as a subjective error? Or should I ignore it entirely?
Thank you in advance for your answers!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 11:31
My impression is that the author specifically used this hyphen to accentuate the meaning the word: your future has been decided before your birth.
Since the title of the book has the hyphenation, I would agree with your impression. I would not mark it as any type of error; it appears to be a stylistic choice by the author. :twocents-02cents:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

MsH2k wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 12:33
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 11:31
Since the title of the book has the hyphenation, I would agree with your impression. I would not mark it as any type of error; it appears to be a stylistic choice by the author. :twocents-02cents:
Thank you very much for your input!

Return to “International Grammar”