Is Shamanism a religion?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Is Shamanism a religion?

Post by Abacus »

When I search Google for "Shaman - capitalize?" more references say do not capitalize. At least one suggests that shamanism is not a religion.

Religion Stylebook:
shaman
A spiritual leader in a tribal society who heals people by channeling spirits, often in an altered state. Sometimes referred to as a medicine man or witch doctor. It is a description rather than a formal title; do not capitalize, even when used with a name.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Shaman are similar to Priests
At least in Native American terms. I think that unless a name follows it, then it shouldn't be capitalized. I know that saying the pope without a name is not. I looked that up in the Merriam Dictionary.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
MissM94
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missm94.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by MissM94 »

I personally don’t think it is a religion because it involves a person who is able to communicate with spirits so that they can heal people. In Africa they are called traditional healers. All they do is to appease their gods/ancestors, communicate with them, and get information on how to heal people. You can become a healer if only you have a calling.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

MissM94 wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 04:41 I personally don’t think it is a religion because it involves a person who is able to communicate with spirits so that they can heal people. In Africa they are called traditional healers. All they do is to appease their gods/ancestors, communicate with them, and get information on how to heal people. You can become a healer if only you have a calling.
I think you have a valid point. I think it depends greatly on Nationality and personal belief systems.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “International Grammar”