Use of ellipsis?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Use of ellipsis?

Post by Abacus »

My sources lead me to believe that an ellipsis can be used in the middle of a quotation in order to shorten it,
as used in the example below:

Wikipedia definition: a religious practice that involves a practitioner who is believed to interact with a spirit world through altered states of consciousness, such as trance… for healing or some other purpose.

Does anyone agree or disagree? Thanks.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Abacus wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 10:46 My sources lead me to believe that an ellipsis can be used in the middle of a quotation in order to shorten it,

Wikipedia definition: a religious practice that involves a practitioner who is believed to interact with a spirit world through altered states of consciousness, such as trance… for healing or some other purpose.

I have further references for this ticklish question, so many rules for three little dots.

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html use in a quotation

https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/ellipses.asp use in a quotation

1. Shorten long quotes with ellipses 2. Clarify Quotes with ...
https://www.antioch.edu › Tips-for-Modifying-Quotes
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Abacus wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 10:46 My sources lead me to believe that an ellipsis can be used in the middle of a quotation in order to shorten it,

Thank you for these references. I struggle with the ellipsis myself. Regarding your example sentence, it doesn't look like you put a space after each period, which according to the punctuation guide you posted, is a requirement.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

diana lowery wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 09:43

Thank you for these references. I struggle with the ellipsis myself. Regarding your example sentence, it doesn't look like you put a space after each period, which according to the punctuation guide you posted, is a requirement.
Thanks for the suggestion, who would have thought that three little dots could have dozens of rules to think about?

Return to “International Grammar”