Towards The Use of Inverted Comma

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Alex7282
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Towards The Use of Inverted Comma

Post by Alex7282 »

If you don't know the difference between single inverted comma and double inverted comma, this article will do you great benefits. Just try to read till the end. This topic will be discussed in relation to standard English. What is inverted commas? Inverted commas are otherwise called Quotation Marks in British English. These are used to enclose words of direct speech.

Generally, double inverted quotation ("x") are regarded as standard; the single inverted comma ('x') is used for a quote inside a quote. This means the double quotation comes before the single quotation if you want to use the two quotations within a sentence.

Examples:

1. I heard the violent man say, "the policeman shouted 'catch that man'. "

2.Professor Flynn began with, "Even if you've never read a word of Shakespeare, I'm sure you've heard 'To be or not to be' a thousand times."

Inverted commas can be used to punctuate the title of books, plays, films, poem, and articles.

3. Achebe wrote "Things Fall Apart".

4. "The Funny Girl" is still showing.

Note that when we use inverted commas to indicate title, the first letter in each word in the title must be in capital letters. Another thing is that the "the full stop" must come after the inverted comma.
They are also used to indicate that a word is used not in its general accepted sense, or that a word or phrase is a foreign one.

5. MachMillan termed the process for the liberation of Arricy as "The Winds of Change".

6. We wear 'agbada' in Nigeria.

In British English, the usual style is to use single quotation marks, while any associated punctuation is placed outside the closing quotation mark:

Their new single is called 'Curtain Falls'.
Thanks
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

That was very nice of you to write that out! And, if you are accustomed to British punctuation it is/was probably difficult for you to break the punctuation habits - bravo to you!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have given some misinformation.
I am not sure about British punctuation rules, but according to OBC guidelines, titles of books, plays, and films need to be italicized. Poems, songs, and articles use quotation marks.
You stated, "Inverted commas can be used to punctuate the title of books, plays, films, poem, and articles."
I am not sure why grammar has to be so confusing, but it is.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Alex7282 wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 17:53
Inverted commas can be used to punctuate the title of books, plays, films, poem, and articles.

3. Achebe wrote "Things Fall Apart"

OBC requires book and series titles to be italicized and NOT in quotation marks. It is a Guidelines violation to do otherwise and will cost you 30 out of 100 possible points on an editorial score for a review.

I see that you are new here. I strongly suggest that you become more familiar with how the OBC works before giving advice.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

diana lowery wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 09:25 Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have given some misinformation.
I am not sure about British punctuation rules, but according to OBC guidelines, titles of books, plays, and films need to be italicized. Poems, songs, and articles use quotation marks.
You stated, "Inverted commas can be used to punctuate the title of books, plays, films, poem, and articles."
I am not sure why grammar has to be so confusing, but it is.
You are correct.
Mulebooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mulebooks.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Trad. Chinese Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by Mulebooks »

I think that the use of italics for titles on OBC is an in-house rule. Elsewhere, you use inverted commas.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Mulebooks wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 14:02 I think that the use of italics for titles on OBC is an in-house rule. Elsewhere, you use inverted commas.
It is an absolute requirement for the OBC. You will see it used elsewhere, as well; although, some do use quotation marks. I've never seen inverted commas, other than in this thread.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

So, in British English is a single inverted comma used for dialogue?
Example: 'I love you, Mum', he said.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps

Return to “International Grammar”