Recommed for or recommend to?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Icon Recommed for or recommend to?

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

Hey guys, I wanted to know what is the difference between "recommend for" and "recommend to"
I read some different opinions about this, some people said that both are correct, some people said that only "recommend to" is correct, and some say they have different meanings. I'd like to know if there's only one correct option or if they both are correct, what are the differences between them.
Thanks.
vmarie+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vmarie.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by vmarie+ »

Gabrielle, this is a good question. I had never really thought about it before, so I checked examples at the online dictionary. "To" was used in one example, but separated with words between. The example: We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. Personally, I can think of a sentence where "for" might be used. My example: I recommend you for the position. (Again, "for" is separated from the verb with the pronoun between--this pronoun could easily be a proper noun, of course.) The majority of examples at the online dictionary used neither "to" nor "for," but just the verb by itself. It appears that the difference is that "to" introduces an action verb; whereas, "for" is less definitive. I hope I've shed some light on your question.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

vmarie+ wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 04:53 Gabrielle, this is a good question. I had never really thought about it before, so I checked examples at the online dictionary. "To" was used in one example, but separated with words between. The example: We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. Personally, I can think of a sentence where "for" might be used. My example: I recommend you for the position. (Again, "for" is separated from the verb with the pronoun between--this pronoun could easily be a proper noun, of course.) The majority of examples at the online dictionary used neither "to" nor "for," but just the verb by itself. It appears that the difference is that "to" introduces an action verb; whereas, "for" is less definitive. I hope I've shed some light on your question.
Interesting! Thank you very much for this clarification. :)
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
vmarie+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vmarie.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by vmarie+ »

I will recommend you for the position. (job or role, to perform or act)
I will recommend you to Sir Hazley. (a person or organization, for advice)

The difference is subtle.
--Always learning!
Quast
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Quast »

vmarie+ wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 12:39 I will recommend you for the position. (job or role, to perform or act)
I will recommend you to Sir Hazley. (a person or organization, for advice)

The difference is subtle.
Good explanation . Thank you.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

vmarie+ wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 04:53 Gabrielle, this is a good question. I had never really thought about it before, so I checked examples at the online dictionary. "To" was used in one example, but separated with words between. The example: We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. Personally, I can think of a sentence where "for" might be used. My example: I recommend you for the position. (Again, "for" is separated from the verb with the pronoun between--this pronoun could easily be a proper noun, of course.) The majority of examples at the online dictionary used neither "to" nor "for," but just the verb by itself. It appears that the difference is that "to" introduces an action verb; whereas, "for" is less definitive. I hope I've shed some light on your question.
Thank you very much! It's a complicated subject but your explanation really helped me.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Thank you so much.

Return to “International Grammar”