American spelling vs. British

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

American spelling vs. British. Which do you prefer?

American spelling
40%
British spelling
60%

Total votes: 30

clxdi
Bookshelf Size: 0

American spelling vs. British

Post by clxdi »

Hey everyone. This is my first post. I'm a South African and we use British spelling over here. I was going over some words with my 4 year old niece and we came across the word "colour". Since the words that were printed out on her homework sheet was taken from an American site I presume, it had "color". And she was really confused 😂 I have noticed quite a lot of times now that Americans have made the spelling of words easier (according to how they're said) and omitted "extra letters". The way the English language has evolved fascinates me!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I learned British spelling at school but on the Internet I see a much broader use of American spelling. The latter is simpler so I adopted it. :mrgreen:
Ciao :)
Massimo
justjim
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

I recently had the opportunity to spend a month in the UK and I'm working on being more tolerant of British spelling, but it still surprises me sometimes
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

There are times when English makes no sense at all. I'm American, so I use that. But I've taught many littles to read and notice things like:
Dove - the bird Love Above Hover <-- this batch makes no sense with American pronunciation
Dove - past tense of Dive Woven Clover Rove

This is pronunciation and not spelling but still...do Brits pronounce them differently?
Then there are phrases. I found a Finnish comedian that did a routine about the use of the word "ass" in English making it one of the hardest to use correctly. I figured it would be good for a couple of jokes, but he did a full ten minutes and had me agreeing!
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I prefer American spelling, as it is simpler, but occasionally I use British spelling.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

It's very interesting. I'm from the Caribbean and we're exposed to both. The British influence is part of our history but then we're exposed to US television, books, and of course the internet. The British spelling is taught in schools but then people interchange with both US and UK spelling after school.
grace11cephas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by grace11cephas »

I prefer British spelling-I think because we were colonized by Britain but find American accent cool.Both sides have lots of things to offer our world.
Cherie Bastock
Currently Reading: The forgetting
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherie-bastock.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Cherie Bastock »

Being Australian I have grown up with British spelling and I find it hard to tolerate American spelling and pronunciation. With having international e-books now, we really need to all stick to just one spelling of English words, but I guess we'll never agree on which one!!
Amanda-Elin G
Currently Reading: Valiant Young Men
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singinggenius05.html
Latest Review: André's Reboot by Steve Coleman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Amanda-Elin G »

The differences between American and British spelling cause me to wonder if the people in charge of choosing words for a spelling bee avoid words like "traveled" and " canceled". Maybe in some judges in America would discard the word if the contestant tried to use the British spelling instead of the American?
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

I was raised with British spelling so that's what comes more naturally to me.
My take on it is that either is acceptable as long as it's used consistently in a given piece of writing. If it's not consistent, I feel I have to point out the errors.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

I prefer British English, but I've been writing my reviews in American English. British English has a sense of ancientness, and therefore reverence. It's like Portuguese from Portugal and Portuguese from Brazil; or Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Latin America. European languages are closer to Latin and Greek than "colonial" (no offense intended) languages.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

My husband and I are both non-native speakers, speaking English with each other as the common language. I worked mostly for US companies and read a lot of US books. He used to live in London and reads more British literature. When we started dating we often had discussions on what would be the correct prononciation/expression/spelling. We learned pretty fast we simply have different preferences and exposures.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I am more used to British English. But I think American English is lot easier to type so I prefer the latter😂.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

So far, I have been using British English all my life. Words like 'labour', 'flavour', 'honour', and 'neighbour' are marked as incorrect when typing on most websites, which is why I prefer to sometimes type in American English as it is more well-known and used.

However, I am afraid of getting far too into the habit of doing so because I could end up implementing it into my writing and essays, which would result in misspellings.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

I am from a non-english speaking country. I have been raised learning British spelling in first half and American in second half. I mix these two sometimes. I have a habbit of writing using British words but they count as errors at various places. So, I am trying to fit.

Return to “International Grammar”