Regarding a series of questions

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

A Carman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-carman.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Regarding a series of questions

Post by A Carman »

What is the proper way to grammatically construct a series of questions. I did some hunting around but could not find anything definitive. Following are two examples. Which one is right, or is either acceptable?
Example 1: What do you want? a fresh slice of pie? a steaming cup of coffee? a sizzling slice of bacon?
Example 2: What do you want? A fresh slice of pie? A steaming cup of coffee? A sizzling slice of bacon?

In my own understanding example one is more correct, because without a verb, anything that follows the first question is not a full sentence, so it seems wrong to capitalize the other questions since they are just sentence fragments.

Please provide feedback for me.

Return to “International Grammar”