Do you add misused commas to the review errors?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

ReaderMaru
Currently Reading: Treasure of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readermaru.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Do you add misused commas to the review errors?

Post by ReaderMaru »

Hey,

I'm reading a book right now, but there are so many comma errors that I'm wondering whether or not these should all be included when we hand in our review. I'm sure I missed at least one with this amount, and I'm also not sure if comma (ab)use counts as a grammar mistake that we're expected to report.

So far I've noted down the biggest errors, but I think I'd never be able to finish reading if I noted down every instance.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum by the way, but I think my question mostly boils down to :

Do you count punctuation as grammar?
When there are many instances of the same type of mistake, do you note down every single last one of them?

Thanks!

PS : if this is the wrong forum, let me know and I'll delete this thread.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Yes, comma errors should be on the list of errors for the author. Punctuation errors are absolutely errors. You only need to list the first ten errors, so stop the notetaking when you've hit ten. You shouldn't list them in the actual review.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Yes, each instance of the same error should be recorded, and they do contribute to the 10 that you have to submit in the list to the author. Good luck! (:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

This thread is very helpful, I am reading a similar book and wondered as well. Thank you.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Books with that many punctuation errors are really hard to concentrate on. Yes, I would include obvious misuse of commas. I do realize, though, that US conventions in punctuation are not necessarily the same as non US usage.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I try not to be too nitpicky when it comes to comma errors in books because I always like to allow for creative liberty for the author. That said, if a comma or lack thereof confuses the meaning of the sentence or makes it a run-on sentence, I will mark it. For example, in the last book I read, there was a sentence that went something like, "By the time she was through the floor was soaking wet." I marked that as an error because I had to back and read for clarity. The first time I read it like she went "through the floor."
AnnObiageri
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annobiageri.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by AnnObiageri »

Comma error are sometimes hard for me to spot. I still make them when I write. Perhaps if I try spotting them more, my writing will improve.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I also read a book and had difficulty listing down the missing commas. Make sure to try break your list down to commas that changes the sentence's context. Otherwise, commas are normally based on the author's preference.

Return to “International Grammar”