Ellipses

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Icon Ellipses

Post by rumik »

I'm reading a book where the author is particularly fond of ellipses, but I'm not sure if they're using the ellipses properly or not. For instance:
I am no longer a body…just empty space.
The bright sky darkens around me…the last thing I see is a bird flying across the sky.
I thought the proper usage was with a space before and after, but Googling it left me more confused. Does this count as a grammatical error? Also, the ellipses aren't spaced like ". . ." but just "..." if that makes a difference.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Personally, I would not consider this an error on the author's part. Authors have some creative license when it comes to their art, and this one must like ellipses. As far as whether there should be spaces involved, I don't think it's grammatically incorrect either way as long as it's consistent.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I saw different styles concerning spaces associated to ellipses. It might depend on the writer's nationality as well as on his/her choice.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Teamdemn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teamdemn »

Ellipses are also a way of making readers complete those words with their imaginations. Besides it was used properly cos Ellipses comes with three stops
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think that you should not consider it an error, because it is something very minor.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 15:01 I think that you should not consider it an error, because it is something very minor.
If it's an actual error, no matter how minor, it must be listed on the list for the author. This is per the guidelines.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “International Grammar”