Comma question. How to catch errors

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Comma question. How to catch errors

Post by Wriley »

Does this sentence need a comma?
The author is a gifted storyteller and uses language that anyone can understand not just a political science major.

I have no idea what grammar checker to use. I've tried every I can find and they never correct commas that editors find. I've written numerous papers in college and never had this problem. What am i doing wrong?
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

There should be a comma before "not."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Wriley
Currently Reading:

Post by Wriley »

That's what OBC said but I can't find a grammar checker that corrects it. I just went through at least 10 different sites and app. I tried that sentence. Nothing. What do I do because I just can't see why it needs a comma. I'm perfectionist and this bothers me, that I can't get commas right.
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Wriley
Currently Reading:

Post by Wriley »

Maybe I just need to do very simple sentences.
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

I think a good place to start is by reading the sentence aloud. Anywhere you naturally pause (in this case after understand) is a hint that there might need to be a comma placed there (although this is not always the case!).

In this sentence, "not just a political science major" is an appositive phrase, meaning that the sentence could stand grammatically on its own without it, but it is providing additional information. Appositive phrases should always be separated by commas, regardless of where they fall in the sentence. For example, if you had written:

The author is a gifted storyteller and uses language that anyone, not just political science majors, can understand.

This would still need commas around the appositive phrase.

Of course, there is always the option to reword the sentence so that there is no need for the appositive phrase at all:

The author is a gifted storyteller and uses language such that you do not need to be a political science major to understand it.

This is my favorite website I've found for explaining comma usage: https://www.businessinsider.com/a-guide ... use-2013-9
Calyssa
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B07L27PFRM

Post by Calyssa »

a comma is usually placed before a conjunction. In the sentence "and" is a conjunction, therefore a comma should be placed before it.
Also it is used to separate different parts (constrasting parts) of a sentence which explains why a comma should be placed before "not"
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Calyssa wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 23:02 a comma is usually placed before a conjunction. In the sentence "and" is a conjunction, therefore a comma should be placed before it.
Also it is used to separate different parts (constrasting parts) of a sentence which explains why a comma should be placed before "not"
That is true if both sides of the conjunction are independent clauses. If one of the clauses is dependent, then no comma is used.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Wriley wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 18:26 That's what OBC said but I can't find a grammar checker that corrects it. I just went through at least 10 different sites and app. I tried that sentence. Nothing. What do I do because I just can't see why it needs a comma. I'm perfectionist and this bothers me, that I can't get commas right.
Hi. I have issues with commas too, I never know when there should be less or more. I've also used many checkers and I find that they are not very good at placing commas, so that may be why you haven't had any luck. Grammar checkers aren't very good at correcting the style of writing. Only technical aspects.

For now all you can do is practice and hang in there. Try to read your writing aloud. I always tell myself that a comma is a natural pause in speech, and try to decide from there. I'll also be taking my own advice along with you. :)
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

It needs a comma after “understand.” Commas are used before conjunctions that are before complete clauses. They are also used as pauses, lists, and connections. After a while, it will become natural, and you won’t need to think about using them.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I try to think of it like this:

1. If the sentences has a natural pause when read aloud, put a period.
2. If the sentence connects two independent clauses (2 parts that could stand along as their own) put a comma.
3. Use comma in a series...whether you use it before the last one is optional
bespectacledpetal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bespectacledpetal.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bespectacledpetal »

I always get points taken away for commas as well. Grammarly does not help with that. I just try reading the sentences aloud and put in commas wherever I pause.
Shhhh I'm reading :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “International Grammar”