Missing words, is it an accent?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Missing words, is it an accent?

Post by Helen_Combe »

Hi, I’m reading a book by an American author. It’s written in the first person and there are words regularly missing like

Saturday morning, I sat my front steps to wait for Mr. Crumley.

This way above your pay grade.

Am I looking at mistakes or is it a regional accent?

Thanks
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Could you give us a few examples?
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Saturday morning, I sat my front steps to wait for Mr. Crumley.

A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:58 Saturday morning, I sat my front steps to wait for Mr. Crumley.

It should say, "On Saturday morning..." and "This is way..." Not regional in the written word, and very slangish in the oral word.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

OK, thanks, I’ll treat if as an error.
DATo

Post by DATo »

I'm thinking a colon after "morning" might be correct, but I'm not sure. For reasons of his own the narrator is attempting to state the fact that what he is about to relate is taking place on Saturday morning. It would be more properly written as ... It was Saturday morning. I sat on my front steps to wait for Mr. Crumley.

Out of context it would appear to be an error, but perhaps it isn't. One must take into consideration the persona of the character who is making the statement; for instance, you wouldn't hear a Shakespearian character saying, "Youz guys is driv'n me crazy." but it would sound entirely appropriate if spoken by a member of the Mafia family in the TV series, The Sopranos. Your example is obviously being narrated in first person which means we are dealing with a specific person in the story. If this person speaks this way (clipped expressions) throughout the story then I would not consider it an error, but rather continuity within the character's developed persona.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thank you. I was wondering if it’s in fact the accent of the author. ‘I sat my front steps’ (missing the on) was from the first person narrator but ‘This way above’ (missing the is) was dialogue from a different character.
But if it’s a regional thing, then everybody will talk in that manner.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 04:33 Thank you. I was wondering if it’s in fact the accent of the author. ‘I sat my front steps’ (missing the on) was from the first person narrator but ‘This way above’ (missing the is) was dialogue from a different character.
I cannot in any way defend the second example. The word "is" is definitely missing. There is no American accent or regional expression which validates this phrasing. This is an example of very poor editing. In fact, it should have been corrected long before it got to an editor by the writer proofing the text him/herself.

And I missed the point of the first example - the "on" is missing too. Unforgivable sloth on the part of the writer. Don't people like this even read over what they have written? I try to do that even with my posts here at OBC.
― Steven Wright
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Even if it were a regional accent/dialect (some of the more extreme southern accents, Cajun, or even just broken English), it would be a poorly written one as I would think "This" would likely appear as "Dis."
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

DATo wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 05:25
Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 04:33 Thank you. I was wondering if it’s in fact the accent of the author. ‘I sat my front steps’ (missing the on) was from the first person narrator but ‘This way above’ (missing the is) was dialogue from a different character.
I cannot in any way defend the second example. The word "is" is definitely missing. There is no American accent or regional expression which validates this phrasing. This is an example of very poor editing. In fact, it should have been corrected long before it got to an editor by the writer proofing the text him/herself.

And I missed the point of the first example - the "on" is missing too. Unforgivable sloth on the part of the writer. Don't people like this even read over what they have written? I try to do that even with my posts here at OBC.
Thank you, I’m getting my red pen out right now.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Gravy wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 06:08 Even if it were a regional accent/dialect (some of the more extreme southern accents, Cajun, or even just broken English), it would be a poorly written one as I would think "This" would likely appear as "Dis."
Thank you, I think the jury have returned with a verdict of ‘guilty’.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Throw the book at them!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

They’re going down :lol:
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Looks like just some really bad mistakes. Everyone's been there, but yeah, this isn't an accent thing.
"No way but forward!"
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

kaymontacell wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 13:34 Looks like just some really bad mistakes. Everyone's been there, but yeah, this isn't an accent thing.
Thank you

Return to “International Grammar”