An EU issue or a EU issue?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.
User avatar
george_bass
Posts: 21
Joined: 05 Apr 2016, 08:12
Bookshelf Size: 3

An EU issue or a EU issue?

Post by george_bass » 31 Aug 2016, 11:25

Hello there,

I share with you this embarrassing question. Which of the following phrases is correct, and why?

This is an EU issue.
This is a EU issue.


Thank you for your help.

User avatar
Blythe
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 07:14
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blythe.html

Post by Blythe » 08 Sep 2016, 07:41

The answer is "an EU issue". The rule is "a" before a consonant sound and "an" before a vowel sound. E, pronounced "ee" with a long vowel sound, would have "an" before it. You're welcome. :D

User avatar
SandraTWP-BRW
Posts: 109
Joined: 04 Sep 2016, 15:38
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW » 08 Sep 2016, 10:20

Blythe wrote:The answer is "an EU issue". The rule is "a" before a consonant sound and "an" before a vowel sound. E, pronounced "ee" with a long vowel sound, would have "an" before it. You're welcome. :D
I agree.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson

User avatar
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2001
Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 12:42
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 252
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by LivreAmour217 » 09 Sep 2016, 15:55

I concur with the other two posts.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
ramblinggnomes
Posts: 31
Joined: 17 Nov 2016, 08:37
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by ramblinggnomes » 19 Nov 2016, 06:46

I also agree with the previous replies. An or a is determined by whether or not the word begins with a vowel sound.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

User avatar
Abfaniki
Posts: 59
Joined: 17 Jun 2017, 09:50
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki » 03 Aug 2017, 07:26

this is an EU issue is the right answer.
vowel sounds go with an not a ( Vowels are the letters A, E, I, O, U).
an apple.
not a apple
A man's thought is like a well of knowledge that only an insightful person could draw from it. :techie-reference:
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 808
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy » 30 Sep 2017, 03:26

Blythe wrote:The answer is "an EU issue". The rule is "a" before a consonant sound and "an" before a vowel sound. E, pronounced "ee" with a long vowel sound, would have "an" before it. You're welcome. :D
Well said
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

User avatar
Rosemary Wright
Posts: 536
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 03:06
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Ten Facts Unmasking Our Origin, Pupose and Destiny on this Planet by Dele Babalola

Post by Rosemary Wright » 06 Dec 2017, 10:32

An EU is correct because the EU is pronounced e-u. The "e" is a vowel sound.

User avatar
shelidizel
Posts: 46
Joined: 12 Nov 2017, 15:27
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelidizel.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by shelidizel » 06 Dec 2017, 10:33

An EU issue
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

ilovebooks2
Posts: 26
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:37
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 483
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ilovebooks2 » 13 Jan 2018, 16:46

I think the EU example is pretty clear, as it starts with a vowel and has a vowel sound.
A trickier example: an STD, as it starts with a consonant but has a vowel sound.
I think we all agree on this one: an hour.
But what about this one? A hotel or an hotel.
I've seen it both ways, as some people pronounce hotel as "otel", hence "an hotel".

User avatar
DustinPBrown
Posts: 177
Joined: 10 Oct 2017, 15:58
Currently Reading: God of War, Ares
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown » 14 Feb 2018, 09:43

ilovebooks2 wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 16:46
I think the EU example is pretty clear, as it starts with a vowel and has a vowel sound.
A trickier example: an STD, as it starts with a consonant but has a vowel sound.
I think we all agree on this one: an hour.
But what about this one? A hotel or an hotel.
I've seen it both ways, as some people pronounce hotel as "otel", hence "an hotel".
You see a similar thing when people say, "an historical event" even though historical obviously begins with an H sound. Some things are older than we know, and some of them have always been just fads.

User avatar
ayoomisope
Posts: 355
Joined: 27 Jan 2018, 18:21
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: The Fall of a Sparrow by Dan Scannell

Post by ayoomisope » 17 Feb 2018, 10:12

DustinPBrown wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 09:43
ilovebooks2 wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 16:46
I think the EU example is pretty clear, as it starts with a vowel and has a vowel sound.
A trickier example: an STD, as it starts with a consonant but has a vowel sound.
I think we all agree on this one: an hour.
But what about this one? A hotel or an hotel.
I've seen it both ways, as some people pronounce hotel as "otel", hence "an hotel".
You see a similar thing when people say, "an historical event" even though historical obviously begins with an H sound. Some things are older than we know, and some of them have always been just fads.
What's the right thing then, "a historical event" or "an historical event" or both? Just as you said, I've seen both.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

User avatar
ayoomisope
Posts: 355
Joined: 27 Jan 2018, 18:21
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: The Fall of a Sparrow by Dan Scannell

Post by ayoomisope » 17 Feb 2018, 10:19

Also, I just discovered the difference between "historic" and "historical". "Historic" refers to something important while "historical" refers to something that happened in the past.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

User avatar
DustinPBrown
Posts: 177
Joined: 10 Oct 2017, 15:58
Currently Reading: God of War, Ares
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown » 18 Feb 2018, 04:52

ayoomisope wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 10:12
DustinPBrown wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 09:43
ilovebooks2 wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 16:46
I think the EU example is pretty clear, as it starts with a vowel and has a vowel sound.
A trickier example: an STD, as it starts with a consonant but has a vowel sound.
I think we all agree on this one: an hour.
But what about this one? A hotel or an hotel.
I've seen it both ways, as some people pronounce hotel as "otel", hence "an hotel".
You see a similar thing when people say, "an historical event" even though historical obviously begins with an H sound. Some things are older than we know, and some of them have always been just fads.
What's the right thing then, "a historical event" or "an historical event" or both? Just as you said, I've seen both.
From what I know, they're both correct, just depends on your dialect, the context, how formal you wanna be, stuff like that I'd imagine. It's English, we've got ten different ways to say just about every word.

User avatar
Helen_Combe
Posts: 2244
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 12:17
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 19 Feb 2018, 05:59

It’s all about the how it sounds when spoken.

The ‘a’ / ‘an’ usage is there to stop two hard vowel sounds clashing together. For example, ‘a ant’ grates, but ‘an ant’ flows.

However, there are exceptions Although ‘universe’ starts with a ‘u’, it sounds like it starts with a ‘y’ so does not need ‘an’ to make it flow as it’s not a vowel sound, phonetically it is ‘a yuniverse’

Similarly for words the begin with ‘h’ where the ‘h’ is not pronounced.

‘Herb is pronounced ‘urb’ In the ‘US’ and ‘herb’ in the UK.

So the US pronunciation needs ‘an’ to stop ‘a’ and ‘u’ grating, but the UK pronunciation does not need the ‘an’ as the ‘a’ and ‘h’ sounds flow together.

Hope that makes sense.

Post Reply

Return to “International Grammar”