Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Writing » International Grammar

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

"I could care less" and more goofs

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Re: "I could care less" and more goofs

Post Number:#91 by Redcraze
» 24 May 2017, 21:34

There are several current idioms which mean, as far as I can tell, exactly the opposite of what they say. Thus “I could care less” means “I couldn’t care less” and “double down” replaces the perfectly adequate locution “double up”. “Entitled”apparently means “not entitled, but thinks he should be”.

No expression irritates me more than "It is what it is". What sort of conversation includes such nonsense? How can one respond to it? Perhaps “Oh, really? I thought it was something else.”
Redcraze

Currently Reading: The Blank Slate
Bookshelf Size: 123 books
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#92 by MsMartha
» 01 Jun 2017, 08:19

No expression irritates me more than "It is what it is". What sort of conversation includes such nonsense? How can one respond to it? Perhaps “Oh, really? I thought it was something else.”

You are not alone--this irritates me, too!!
MsMartha

Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 96 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 72%

Post Number:#93 by Redcraze
» 01 Jun 2017, 19:24

Thanks, Martha. I feel vindicated that someone agrees with me. Perhaps we should start the "It Isn't What It Is" Club to at least make people who use this silly expression think about what they're saying. You can be President.
Redcraze

Post Number:#94 by Gingerbo0ks
» 07 Jun 2017, 19:06

Oh my gosh, when people on social media type "are" when they mean "OUR". It really gets to me.
“One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 150 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#95 by Redcraze
» 07 Jun 2017, 20:25

Yes indeed! How do you feel about people who can't distinguish between "there", "their" and "they're"? Surely the death penalty should apply.
Redcraze

Post Number:#96 by MsMartha
» 10 Jun 2017, 07:58

Redcraze wrote:Thanks, Martha. I feel vindicated that someone agrees with me. Perhaps we should start the "It Isn't What It Is" Club to at least make people who use this silly expression think about what they're saying. You can be President.

Actually I think you should be the President ;-)
MsMartha

Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 96 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 72%

Post Number:#97 by Diah
» 21 Jun 2017, 23:24

English is my second language. So my English is not good too. I didn't know any wrong meaning when heard "I could care less". But after I read "I couldn't care less" I understand that the first quote is not right.
Diah

Currently Reading: One Night for Love
Bookshelf Size: 27 books
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 133%

Previous