Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.
- Posts: 456
- Joined: 29 May 2016, 22:01
- 2018 Reading Goal: 35
- 2017 Reading Goal: 50
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
- Currently Reading: Strong Heart
- Bookshelf Size: 68
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneloretrujillo.html
- Latest Review: "Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall" by Eve Vermazen
I was taught that it is always correct to use the possessive form of a noun before a gerund because the gerund is technically a noun, not a verb.
For example it should be
"She had to get over his leaving her."
"She had to get over him leaving her."
Could someone tell me if I am using the possessive and gerund correctly in that sentence?
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 10 Jan 2017, 13:52
- Bookshelf Size: 0
I certainly cannot and I would like to add that grammar is not really up to the task of determining what is correct and what not any more. Once you travel a little you'll find that one sentence is "correct" in one part of the English speaking word while in another part of the world the other sentence is "correct"
- Posts: 42136
- Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 01:52
- 2018 Reading Goal: 190
- 2017 Reading Goal: 190
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 29
- Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
- Favorite Book: The Bible
- Currently Reading: Heaven
- Bookshelf Size: 360
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
- Latest Review: "The Boronian" by Ross Buzzell
- fav_author_id: 2881
- Location: Wisconsin
Oh for the days of Noah Webster when it all was defined for us!
~ occupare fati suffocavit
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
- Previous Member of the Month
- Posts: 1954
- Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 12:42
- 2018 Reading Goal: 75
- 2017 Reading Goal: 60
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
- Favorite Author: Too many to count
- Favorite Book: Ditto
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 194
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
- Latest Review: "A Middle Way" by Duke Robinson
- Location: Kentucky-Tennessee state line, USA
I wish I could answer this! I feel compelled to do a Google search, but I have a funny feeling that I'll find more than one "correct" answer! I agree with what Noel said: it probably depends on where you're from!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein