Need help! Semicolon or comma?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Need help! Semicolon or comma?

Post by Kelsey Roy »

Hello, in a recent review I lost well over 40 points for this issue: to use a comma or a semicolon? Below is my quoted sentence from the review.

“Part of the family fled, part of the family joined the resistance, part of the family stayed to themselves on the farm, and some even befriended the Nazis to remain alive.”

An editor argued that I should have used semicolons instead of commas throughout this sentence (3 separate marked errors). Is this correct or should I ask the editor to recheck?
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

Update: I still need help, the editor denied my request to recheck and I’m trying to decide if I should do an admin recheck BUT I’m so discouraged by this.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 14:37 Update: I still need help, the editor denied my request to recheck and I’m trying to decide if I should do an admin recheck BUT I’m so discouraged by this.
“Part of the family fled, part of the family joined the resistance, part of the family stayed to themselves on the farm, and some even befriended the Nazis to remain alive.”

Hi Kelsey,

Your comma usage was correct as written. A comma is used to separate items in a series, and a series can include independent clauses. You cannot add anything to your original recheck request at this point, but if you have provided an ample explanation in your initial recheck request, I recommend asking for an admin recheck. I feel confident they would rule in your favor.

FYI, the following link supports your usage:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ommas.html

All the best.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Seetha E
Currently Reading: Now or Never
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Seetha E »

MsH2k wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 09:11
Kelsey Roy wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 14:37 Update: I still need help, the editor denied my request to recheck and I’m trying to decide if I should do an admin recheck BUT I’m so discouraged by this.

Hi Kelsey,

Your comma usage was correct as written. A comma is used to separate items in a series, and a series can include independent clauses. You cannot add anything to your original recheck request at this point, but if you have provided an ample explanation in your initial recheck request, I recommend asking for an admin recheck. I feel confident they would rule in your favor.

All the best.
Thanks for this link. Are there any more reference links that can be useful, especially for profanity and its bifurcations? There are many words that cannot be clearly put under one or the other category and borderline leaves a lot unanswered and this can be quite subjective.
Relatively new here. Any assistance is appreciated.
Danna Vergara
Favorite Book: Diary
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danna-vergara.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

Post by Danna Vergara »

MsH2k wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 09:11

Hi Kelsey,

All the best.

Thank you, I had the same doubt.
mazen2008
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mazen2008 »

I think that using semicolons instead of commas would be more feasible because there are independent clauses.

Return to “International Grammar”