Are these correct?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Icon Are these correct?

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Can you please help me check if these errors are correct. I do appreciate constructive criticism.

1) He puts on magic shows for local kids, sells love potions (which (is) really just (are)
Complete sentence: He puts on magic shows for local kids, sells love potions (which is really just powdered chalk), and tells fortune through the specific act of telling

2) He gets falsely accused of being a traitor for predicting an accident (which) was aimed (that)
Complete sentence: He gets falsely accused of being a traitor for predicting an accident which was aimed at the royal family.

3) She was often called a vampire in the book because she ()killed like one. (was killed)

4) After reading the book, the only two characters I fondly remembered (were) Princess Jarla and Freda, the rabbit. (was)
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Wildflowertheorist wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 02:28 Can you please help me check if these errors are correct. I do appreciate constructive criticism.
Hi.
I cannot resist a good grammar question (or four :) ). Here are my thoughts.

1) He puts on magic shows for local kids, sells love potions (which are really just powdered chalk), and tells fortune through the specific act of telling
In this case, “which” is referring to “potions,” so a plural verb is correct. This link explains relative pronoun agreement:
https://getitwriteonline.com/verb-relat ... -agreement

2) He gets falsely accused of being a traitor for predicting an accident that was aimed at the royal family.
The clause following which/that is a defining or essential clause. It is important to know the particular accident that he predicted, so “that” would be more accurate.
Here is a link that explains using which and that: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/which-vs-that/

3) She was often called a vampire in the book because she ()killed like one. (was killed)
This one depends on the intended meaning of the sentence. If she killed other people in a manner typically used by vampires, the sentence is fine as is. If she was murdered by someone in a manner typically used by vampires, including “was” would be correct.

4) After reading the book, the only two characters I fondly remembered were Princess Jarla and Freda, the rabbit.
The subject in this sentence is characters, so a plural verb is required. The phrase “I fondly remembered” describes the characters—it is not the subject. (Interestingly, Grammarly was tripped up on this too. :shhh:)
Item 5 in this link is a great example (similar to this sentence) of subject/verb agreement:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ement.html

Thanks for giving me my puzzle fix for the day. I hope my responses were helpful.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Thank you @MsH2k ! This was super helpful.
I can't believe you went an extra mile to help me make sense of these errors!
Thanks a ton!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Wildflowertheorist wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 10:02 Thank you MsH2k ! This was super helpful.
I can't believe you went an extra mile to help me make sense of these errors!
Thanks a ton!
You're very welcome. :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

MsH2k wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 17:52
Wildflowertheorist wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 02:28 Can you please help me check if these errors are correct. I do appreciate constructive criticism.
Hi.
I cannot resist a good grammar question (or four :) ). Here are my thoughts.

1) He puts on magic shows for local kids, sells love potions (which are really just powdered chalk), and tells fortune through the specific act of telling
In this case, “which” is referring to “potions,” so a plural verb is correct. This link explains relative pronoun agreement:
https://getitwriteonline.com/verb-relat ... -agreement

2) He gets falsely accused of being a traitor for predicting an accident that was aimed at the royal family.
The clause following which/that is a defining or essential clause. It is important to know the particular accident that he predicted, so “that” would be more accurate.
Here is a link that explains using which and that: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/which-vs-that/

This one depends on the intended meaning of the sentence. If she killed other people in a manner typically used by vampires, the sentence is fine as is. If she was murdered by someone in a manner typically used by vampires, including “was” would be correct.

4) After reading the book, the only two characters I fondly remembered were Princess Jarla and Freda, the rabbit.
The subject in this sentence is characters, so a plural verb is required. The phrase “I fondly remembered” describes the characters—it is not the subject. (Interestingly, Grammarly was tripped up on this too. :shhh:)
Item 5 in this link is a great example (similar to this sentence) of subject/verb agreement:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ement.html

Thanks for giving me my puzzle fix for the day. I hope my responses were helpful.
Hi, Donna. It's always good to see you! We thank you for all your help. I'm glad you enjoy it.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”

Return to “International Grammar”