Clauses, subjectively understood

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Icon Clauses, subjectively understood

Post by Charlize Venter »

So, as I understand it (I'll start with the definitions):

:arrow: Independent Clause: contains a subject and a verb, but also forms a complete thought. Can stand alone as a simple sentence (a sensible and complete one).

:arrow: Dependent Clause(a.k.a. subordinate clause): contains a subject and a verb, BUT does NOT form a complete thought and cannot be a stand-alone sentence on its own.
:idea: the only thing that distinguishes the independent and the dependent clause is the presence of a subordinating conjunction.

E.g. Independent clause: We arrived home early.
Dependent clause: when we arrived home early
Complete sentence: My husband was surprised when we arrived home early.
or
Independent clause: The weather forecast shows rain.
Dependent clause: although the weather forecast shows rain
Complete Sentence: Although the weather forecast shows rain, we are still going ahead with our plans fo the hike.

:arrow: Subordinating Conjunction: connecting words used to join a subordinate/dependent clause to the main clause.
These include: after, although, as, as if, because, before, how, if, since, than, though, unless, until, when, where, & while.

:arrow: Coordinating Conjunction: serve as connecting words (used to join two parts of a sentence that are grammatically equal, these can either be just a single word or can be clauses).
These are: and, but, for, or, nor, yet, & so.

:arrow: Conjunctive Adverb: an adverb used to modify two independent clauses and join them together (functioning more like a conjunction than an adverb).
These include: still, accordingly, also, besides, consequently, furhtermore, however, moreover, nevertheless, otherwise, then, therefore, & thus.

:arrow: Subordinating Conjunction: a word/phrase that links the independent and the dependent clause, showing that the clause has informative value to add to the main idea of the sentence (illustrates a cause-and-effect relationship, or a shift in time and place between the independent and dependent clause).
These include: after, although, even though, though as, as if, as though, as long as, because, before, if so, so that, since, until, whatever, when, whenever, whether, & while.

:geek2: So, here it goes:

To Combine Two Independent Clauses
:idea: Use a comma before a coordinating conjunction.
-> Independent clause, coordinating conjunction independent clause.
E.g. I was tired after working all day, so I decided to go to bed early.

:idea: Use a semicolon between two independent clauses with no coordinating conjunction.
-> Independent clause; independent clause.
E.g. I was tired from working all day; I decided to go to bed early.

:idea: Use a semicolon before and a comma after a conjunctive adverb
-> Independent clause; conjunctive adverb, independent clause.
E.g. I was tired from working all day; therefore, I decided to go to bed early.

To Combine Independent Clauses with Dependent Clauses
:idea: When the dependent clause begins with a subordinating conjunction and precedes (comes before) the independent clause, separate the clauses with a comma.
-> Subordinating conjunction dependent clause, independent clause.
E.g. Since I was tired, I decided to go to bed.

:idea: When the dependent/subordinate clause follows the independent clause, do not use a comma before or after the subordinating conjunction.
-> Independent clause subordinating conjunction dependent clause.
E.g. I decided to go to bed early since I was tired.

Does anyone have additional advice, corrections, or insights?
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. It helps me a lot in further reviewing. ๐Ÿ‘Thank you.
Beatrice Ochieng
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Beatrice Ochieng »

Thank you very much, it has helped me understand some of the errors I made in my first review.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Charlize Venter wrote: โ†‘13 Jan 2022, 01:30 So, as I understand it (I'll start with the definitions):

:arrow: Independent Clause: contains a subject and a verb, but also forms a complete thought. Can stand alone as a simple sentence (a sensible and complete one).

:arrow: Dependent Clause(a.k.a. subordinate clause): contains a subject and a verb, BUT does NOT form a complete thought and cannot be a stand-alone sentence on its own.
:idea: the only thing that distinguishes the independent and the dependent clause is the presence of a subordinating conjunction.

E.g. Independent clause: We arrived home early.
Dependent clause: when we arrived home early
Complete sentence: My husband was surprised when we arrived home early.
or
Independent clause: The weather forecast shows rain.
Dependent clause: although the weather forecast shows rain
Complete Sentence: Although the weather forecast shows rain, we are still going ahead with our plans fo the hike.

:arrow: Subordinating Conjunction: connecting words used to join a subordinate/dependent clause to the main clause.
These include: after, although, as, as if, because, before, how, if, since, than, though, unless, until, when, where, & while.

:arrow: Coordinating Conjunction: serve as connecting words (used to join two parts of a sentence that are grammatically equal, these can either be just a single word or can be clauses).
These are: and, but, for, or, nor, yet, & so.

:arrow: Conjunctive Adverb: an adverb used to modify two independent clauses and join them together (functioning more like a conjunction than an adverb).
These include: still, accordingly, also, besides, consequently, furhtermore, however, moreover, nevertheless, otherwise, then, therefore, & thus.

:arrow: Subordinating Conjunction: a word/phrase that links the independent and the dependent clause, showing that the clause has informative value to add to the main idea of the sentence (illustrates a cause-and-effect relationship, or a shift in time and place between the independent and dependent clause).
These include: after, although, even though, though as, as if, as though, as long as, because, before, if so, so that, since, until, whatever, when, whenever, whether, & while.

:geek2: So, here it goes:

To Combine Two Independent Clauses
:idea: Use a comma before a coordinating conjunction.
-> Independent clause, coordinating conjunction independent clause.
E.g. I was tired after working all day, so I decided to go to bed early.

:idea: Use a semicolon between two independent clauses with no coordinating conjunction.
-> Independent clause; independent clause.
E.g. I was tired from working all day; I decided to go to bed early.

:idea: Use a semicolon before and a comma after a conjunctive adverb
-> Independent clause; conjunctive adverb, independent clause.
E.g. I was tired from working all day; therefore, I decided to go to bed early.

To Combine Independent Clauses with Dependent Clauses
:idea: When the dependent clause begins with a subordinating conjunction and precedes (comes before) the independent clause, separate the clauses with a comma.
-> Subordinating conjunction dependent clause, independent clause.
E.g. Since I was tired, I decided to go to bed.

:idea: When the dependent/subordinate clause follows the independent clause, do not use a comma before or after the subordinating conjunction.
-> Independent clause subordinating conjunction dependent clause.
E.g. I decided to go to bed early since I was tired.

Does anyone have additional advice, corrections, or insights?
This was very insightful. At least I have learnt something new today. I am well-conversant with coordinating conjunctions, but I have never taken time to learn about subordinating conjunctions. Knowing that subordinating conjunctions join independent and dependent clauses while coordinating conjunctions join two independent clauses was very informative for me. Thanks for sharing!
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Avi Shi wrote: โ†‘23 Jan 2022, 00:38 Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. It helps me a lot in further reviewing. ๐Ÿ‘Thank you.
Might the improvements bring you perfection ๐ŸŒป
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

You gave me something that can improve me on clauses, conjuctions between them and how to use them.
Thank you!

Return to โ€œInternational Grammarโ€